Author Topic: Soho College, Soho Road Handsworth Birmingham  (Read 7695 times)

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Soho College, Soho Road Handsworth Birmingham
« on: Wednesday 18 May 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone has any connection or information on a small private school for girls on the Soho Road in Handsworth, Birmingham run by a Miss Courbet between 1945 and 1959. (It may have been in operation prior to World War 2. on the same site.) Around 1959 it closed and merged with Greenmore College on the other side of Birmingham, in Edgbaston.

It was a school from kindergarten on up and then transitioned as a secretarial school with shorthand and typing once the girls grew older. Just round the corner from Soho Road, the main road to West Bromwich, was Murdock's house and it was a couple of minutes walk from St Michael's Parish Church.

Offline Jayell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Soho College, Soho Road Handsworth Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 June 12 13:32 BST (UK) »
I went to Soho College on Soho Hill from about 1946 to 1954.  The headmistress was Dorothy Courbet and other teachers that I remember are Mrs Williams and Mr Knight. Miss Courbet took the older girls and was a strict teacher. Miss Newbury ran the Commercial Dept which was in the attic, and was attended also by girls wanting to learn shorthand, typing and office skills on day release from firms in the area.  The school was in detached house on the corner of Soho Hill and Soho Avenue, and was opposite Dennisons Watch Case Co, and also the Beehive Pub.

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 18:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying. I was in the last kindergarten class offered at the school so you were ahead of me by a few years. I even have a photo of that class.
It's only this year I found out Murdock's house is just round the corner and it was one of the sites where the Lunar Society met. They were definitely a fascinating group of inventors. We would have looked at his house from the back of the school.
Mrs Murphy and Miss Weldon and Miss Line and Miss Higginbottom are 4 names I'd add to the list of teachers. The school had Christmas celebrations in St Michael's Church and speech days in a huge building in central Birmingham whose name I don't remember.

Offline Jayell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 18:16 BST (UK) »
I was trying to remember Mrs Higginbottom's name.  Thanks for reminding me.  She was a lovely teacher and  I remember being in her class in the room which was on the ground floor at the front of the house.   My sister, who is younger than me, remembers Mrs Murphy.  Yes, school church services were always held at St Michaels, but the back of the school looked onto Soho Avenue and Matthew Boulton's House.   I know because I lived at Soho Hall Hotel, which is now Soho House and that is where the Lunar Society met.  My mother remembers she could hear the lovely singing coming from the school in the summer when the windows were open.

When I was at Soho College speech days were always held at The Central Hall in Corporation Street.

It's nice to catch up with someone else who went to the school.  Do you remember the school song - Soho Forever - written by Mr Knight!

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
I have Murdock and Boulton confused so thanks for getting that right and thanks for the Central Hall connection. Do you happen to know when the school began? I didn't know about the day release people. I'm curious to know if it was up and running during WW2?

Offline Jayell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 June 12 15:00 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't know when Soho College opened.  My sister and I both went to Handsworth Kindergarten & Preparatory School in Park Avenue (a couple of minute's walk away) before going to Soho College.  This could have been because Soho wasn't open - I don't know.  And I think my first class at Soho was with Mrs Williams.   I will ask my sister when I see her to see if she knows any more.  I know she remembers Mrs Murphy as she often mentions her.

I do remember that Rita Tongue who had been a headgirl at Soho, went on to teach at the school but I think that was after I had left.  Maybe you remember her.

Offline pamela p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hello I too went to Soho College in 1954-1959 and it's demise!I remember well Miss Courbet,Mr.Knight&Miss Higginbotham.Do you remember Miss Wellding who taught Latin&Miss Manners who taught games?Anna the cat who ate violets?and what was the name of the housekeeper?I know some of the words to the school song &would love to know all of them.

Offline pamela p

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I was at the school 1954 - 59. Trying to see whether my message has been sent. If yes, please reply to me. Pamela P

Offline Jayell12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 October 13 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Pamela - I went to Soho College from about 1947 to 1954 so had left by the time you started there.  My last teacher was Miss Higginbotham in the Commercial Department.  Here's the words to the school song for you:

Through the maze of maths we are making our way
And swift on the wing is our shorthand today,
No phrase or contraction our spirit can daunt,
Quadratic equations we carelessly flaunt,
And we know how to ask for la plume da ma tante.
SOHO FOR EVER!

One date at least in our memory sticks,
William the Conqueror 1066,
All that is lovely in letters and lore
Gather we into perpetual store.
Stet fortuna domas the fates we implore.
SOHO FOR EVER!

For Queen and for Country our hearts are aflame.
In life as in hockey, we're playing the game,
And while to tradition due homage we pay,
Passed on by the youth of an earlier day,
We'll hand on the torch to a brave new array.
SOHO FOR EVER!

Best wishes
Judy