Author Topic: West Mark School, Petersfield  (Read 69313 times)

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Mark School, Petersfield
« Reply #243 on: Thursday 21 May 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I have heard from Mandy, (Mr Evans daughter), to say that 11 of the family are joining us on the 13th. Great news that they are showing such an interest in our reunion. We look forward to meeting them.

Mandy also reports that her dad was a bit of a squirrel and has unearthed some interesting bits and pieces. Now, Brain H is our revered historian, so perhaps the two of you could get together to coordinate things, thus preventing any duplication of material.

I've been a bit quiet recently, but now matters are hotting up.

Soon I shall be paying Petersfield a visit to firm up our arrangements with the householders who now own the land where the old school once stood to confirm our visit and hopefully obtain permission to erect a small plaque previously discussed. Also a meeting has been set with Richard Saunders the vicar of St Mary's to discuss the memorial thanksgiving service. Likewise to see what the pub can offer in way of lunch.

Groom has given me advice on how to contact the BBC to get tv coverage, that's also to be attended to.

I'll keep you all informed on progress.

Regards

Mike

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Thursday 21 May 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all, again tonight.

I've just had a count up on those coming -

14 ex pupils
11 Evans family
2 awaiting confirmation.
That's 27, add to this say, 10 pupils who will be accompanied by one person, indicates that our event will be around 37. Add to this a possibility of the vicar, Vaughan (local historian), and a couple of land owners means over 40 present WOW!

What an emotional event this day will be.

Regards

Mike 

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Friday 22 May 15 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Gang,
Great Team effort and it's all coming together.
I spent the other day compiling and burning 25 CD's containing the majority of what we've unearthed about West Mark, So there's one each for all the ex pupils, as well as a few copies for those of our ex pupils who can't be with us on the day, with a few spares, although I can burn more if required.

I met up with Mary Goff (Rosemary Arnold) and Husband Robin, on holiday here from Canada, we met at Wrest Park Silsoe along with Mary's half brother and his wife, Wrest Park is a English Heritage Property where I volunteer, and it was a great pleasure to show them the house and grounds, finishing up with a very nice lunch at a local pub.

Mary had hoped to rearrange their visit to coincide with our reunion, but that proved impossible, I gave Mary the first copy of the CD so they had it to take back with them.

Mike i already have that in hand, I will reply to Mandy's email tomorrow and try to ensure we don't duplicate effort, however I think Mandy will have a few surprises for us.

On reflection, I've decided that I shall keep the display presentation I intend to produce to a lower level than I originally anticipated,  all of it will be on the CD which I shall have with me, and can show on a laptop, while everyone can view their copies at their leisure.

I must repeat and  make it clear, the CD is for personal use only and is not to be passed on to web sites, as there could be copyright issues that I don't wish to fall foul of, I did look at getting copyright permissions, but best part of 60 years on, and with many of the copyright holder companies having been sold on, or ceased to exist, it's too much of a problem, and that's without getting involved with individual copyright.

Brian

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday 03 June 15 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Brian, what you are doing is just great, but there must be a cost attached to your CD production. More on costs later.

Richard Saunders, vicar of St. Mary's church in Sheet has been in touch regarding our Thanksgiving Service, asking if we can firm up on few points. 1) Hymns, two are suggested. One would be All Things Bright And Beautiful, can I have a suggestion for another? As hymns are being sung then a organist must be retained. (Cost?). 2) Timing, is to be agreed, as are numbers. I don't want to commit to these yet until I've spoken to the two householders (which to proving difficult as I have had little recent response) and the pub.

Views on catering are sort. Personally, I would like us all to remain together, as a group in a partitioned off section of the restaurant. Makes toasts and communication easier. Options are - 1) A full sit down, pre-paid, pre-ordered lunch. 2) Help yourself buffet, again, pre-paid. 3) DIY, just order and pay for what you want.

Alright, it may be a copout, but I favour option 3, why? Some may have dietary requirements, others like light or heavy lunches. In my case I never like ordering in advance because I don't know what culinary mood I shall be in. Anyway, think of the admin. in getting the monies in, banking, paying the pub etc. Let's keep it simple, Views please.

Expenses. I guess the `gang of 4' are happy to absorb petrol, phone, and similar minor expenses, however, we must consider Brain's CD costs, the organist fee, and/or a donation to the church. Subject to agreement from one of the householders, it is the intention to erect a brass plaque recording the location of West Mark. Again, a cost is involved. So, how do we recover the outgoings? How about, after lunch, requesting a small contribution from everyone?

I shall keep trying to make contact with one of the householders to secure permission to visit and erect this plaque. Then I hope to be in a position to produce a time table and itinerary for approval.

Emails have been sent to ITV & BBC Local News desks, but unsurprisingly, no response. Likewise the Surrey Advertiser has rejected my letter, saying it's an advert and has to be paid for (on yer bike!). 

I look forward to your views.

Regards

Mike

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Friday 05 June 15 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys & gals
Food I prefer option 3 we can order and pay in the morning
hymns how about The Lord Is My Sheperd
Do we have an idea of costs for the organist/Brian/Plaque.
If it proves to be difficult for the plaque on the school site how about it in the church it would be more accessable for viewing ;subject to permission;
If we don't do the Plaque how about a garden seat in the grounds of the Church?
If the Plaque cost is too much and is proving to be a problem settle for us all to sign the visitors book and donate the money to the Church.
Will there be a " Reading" at the Church Service?
Will there be an order of Service?
If necessary forget the service and just visit the Church.
Mike ,
Personally I would be happy to just sign the Visitors Book and make a donation to the Church.
Rams

Offline Jilly1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Friday 05 June 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Would it be worth contacting Vaughan Clarke, who is on the Sheet Parish Council and asking his opinion.

A, if it is not possible for a plaque to be put at Westmark, or the church, would it be possible to place one near the village green.  Lots of visitors to the area often stop on green also it would always be in view of the villagers as a reminder of you all in years to come.

B, I am, and I'm sure everyone else would be more than willing to pay for a copy of the cd, as this is something that will undoubtedly be passed down through families.

Be in touch again soon,

Jilly

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Friday 05 June 15 23:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rams & Jilly for your input much appreciated. So, let's reply to your comments.

Plaque - I have taken the decision to produce the plaque in the belief that I can convince one of the householders to have it installed. Cost £57.60.

Catering - OK, we do our own thing.

Hymns - The Lord is my Shepherd is a god one, so it's in.

Church Reading - I don't know yet, but someone no doubt will say a few words. Work in progress.

Visitors Book - this I guess will be available for those to sign if they so wish.

Costs - one expenditure is the plaque, I am waiting to hear about the church costs.Ten perhaps a whip round at lunch would cover these outgoings.

This I trust indicates my thinking, my main concern and focus is renewing contact with the householders.

The suggested time table of events is as follows -

Arrival & coffee - 10.30am
Welcome address - 11.00
Visit the old school grounds - 11.30 during which the plaque will be installed (I hope).
Lunch at the Half Moon - 1.00pm. during which Brian Hilton will say a few words on the history of   West Mark.
2.30pm - short Thanksgiving Service at S. Mary's Church, Sheet.
3.00pm - back to the pub or for those with a long journey, home.

I am mindfull that we are all getting old and some will have lengthy journeys to and from the venue, hence a tight time table.

This is my current thinking, but things may alter, but I will confirm final itinerary later.

Regards

Mike

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Saturday 06 June 15 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Gals& Guys
I,ve managed to coerse my friend who runs a local paper [ Heathrow Area ] to place another add in the
columns of his paper regarding the reunion so lets see what happens, last time round I had one reply from
a MR Angel who was at the school in 1948 he was there on a weeks holiday ,before the west mark we know of.I did invite him to the reunion but he declined my invitation and wished us good luck.
RAMS

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Monday 08 June 15 17:20 BST (UK) »

Hi Guys
I went down to Petersfield yesterday and met one of the landowners on which our school once stood.

It is the smaller of the two plots, there really is very little to see of the school remains. It was explained that there are some brick pillars that are symmetrically placed which could be from one of buildings. Vegetation covers the lot now.  More intriguingly, a set of steps going down into the earth, no investigation has taken place. Upon racking the old brain cells, the only idea of what this could be is possible steps into the swimming pool. I can't think of any other reason for such steps - over to you Mr Historian! I tried the other house (a big one too), no reply from the intercom positioned by the massive iron gates - perhaps they are on holiday, I'll keep trying.

I had a very positive meeting the Half Moon Pub manager about lunch (DIY from main menu), meeting room and general arrangements - all agreed on. Full details later, suffice to say  I'm happy with my visit.

The vicar of St Mary's church has confirmed our suggested time table for The Thanksgiving service. Two hymns were agreed as being The Lord is My Shepherd & All Things Bright and Beautiful. There is no charge for the Service, however Richard has stated........."but if we could take an offering towards the church work it would be appreciated"......... I'm not sure what exactly means? The organist  cost is £35.

OK guys that's all I have to report.

Mike