Author Topic: West Mark School, Petersfield  (Read 69308 times)

Offline Jilly1959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Mark School, Petersfield
« Reply #252 on: Monday 08 June 15 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hello mike,

The pool is still there, the steps going down are probably from one of the air raid shelters, if you google earth you can see the pool.

Jilly

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Monday 08 June 15 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys
How about some flowers for the landowners when we visit?
As an idea on the whip round how about £5  Each, kids go free,that would give us near on £200 would that
cover costs ?or do we need more?
Jilly
I've looked on Google Earth the steps Mike was on about i think belong to an airraid shelter.The swimming pool is in the right area,the last time I saw it ,it was split in half where it was left full of water and froze.
RAMS

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Monday 08 June 15 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Rams
OK, so those steps may refer to an air raid shelter, but where was this shelter in the school grounds, cos I don't recall it's location.

On expenses, let's see what the total outlay is nearer the day. Any surplus raised from a whip round I'd favour going to the church.

Regards

Mike

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Gang,
for some reason I'm not getting a notification of new posts on here?
I'm not worried about the costs of the CD's so it isn't a problem.
Going back to the History of the Camp Schools, it seems like the Government during the War when the first camps were used insisted on there being a water reservoir on site for the fire services, and at least one other school I know of the headmaster asked them to put in steps when they were being built, which then became the swimming pool, so I suspect this may also be the way the West Mark swimming pool came into being.
I have a photo of the swimming pool looking very deserted after the school closed, offhand though I can't remember who sent it too me.
Not sure if 10.30am start is a bit early for anyone, including me, who will have to fight their way down the M1 and around the M25 during peak traffic on a monday morning! however I'll probably leave about 6am to avoid the worst of the traffic and be in the area early.
Mike did you look on Google to see if one of the dormitories is still there, I'm sure it is and being used as a business?
I sent Mandy an email asking would she contact me again so we could ensure that we don't duplicate the information etc we'll be presenting, but so far no answer.

Brian H

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all
Just a quick note to enquire if anyone knows if Bernard McLean of NZ & Peter Alexander are coming?

A tot up of attendees with partners together with the Evans brigade looks like some 40 people will be there WOW!

Mike

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Friday 12 June 15 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike
The last time I contacted Bernard Mclean in NZ he stated that [It was a bit to far to travel for the reunion]
This was on the F/R site this was about 3 months ago .
Rams

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Friday 12 June 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rams - I'll put a  no in his box.
Mike

Offline ramsey barber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Sunday 14 June 15 23:30 BST (UK) »
HI guys
Brian
Looking on google earth the big house on the left [ with the pool ] would have been built over the girls
dorms.The boys dorms would be under the trees on the right . the [no sugar added shed]is not in the area
where any of the dorms would have been . unless it has been moved and rebuilt,the only building that could be [ours] is the building  on the top right of the field south of the big house ,the pool is in the right area but it was further west and south.

CONFESSION TIME ABOUT THE POOL
One day in the last summer term, John Holder and me    built a  model hydroplane complete with a 1cc aero engine .And there we were John at one end of the pool ,me at the other sending it up and down,down and up until we had enough ,or it was time for tea [ I think it was the latter moreso than the former]  Anyway a couple of days later at assembly Mr Evans announced that in future [ there would be no further hydroplane racing on the pool] whilst looking at John and myself,BUT WHAT HAD WE DONE?
Unknown to us the engine had emitted the excess oil and parafin onto the waters surface forming a lovely blue  hue ,It took the Groundsman 3 days to empty,clean,and refill the pool.
so I seek forgiveness from ALL Westmarkers for you not able to use the pool in JUNE/JULY 1956.
RAMSEY BARBER

Offline Jilly1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Thursday 18 June 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I have today had an email from Sue Gilson at The Petersfield Post. They are keen to get something in the paper about reunion and have asked me for an outline of what is happening on the 13th, times, attendance, places being visited etc. 

I have given as much info as possible but feel it may be better if one of you could get in touch, as I am a bit sketchy on who is coming and from where.  They would also like 3 or 4 photos relevant to the occasion, upright if possible.

Her phone number is 01730 232604.  Email.  graememoir@petersfieldpost.co.uk

Regards jilly