Author Topic: West Mark School, Petersfield  (Read 69283 times)

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Mark School, Petersfield
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 10 January 15 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Mike/Ramsey.
Just goes to show how you can get things wrong! in my first post I mentioned that when we went to the Portsmouth Dockyard we also went over an aircraft Carrier HMS Warrior, WRONG!  looking through the magazine, in an article by Alan Wyatt he names the carrier as HMS Perseus, which is certainly going to be more accurate than my memory; as they used to say in Bedfordshire " I'll go tu foot of our stairs!"

Can I suggest that we go back to the start of this Chat and contact the  Ex West Marker's who posted, but as yet haven't responded, I think the sooner we contact them the better?
Any further thoughts on families etc?

Brian

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 10 January 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
The latest update is that I have been in contact with the two land owners who are both agreeable for us to enter their land. Nearer the date my wife & I will go down there to confirm things and ensure I know exactly where to go. As far as wives/children are concerned I personally say OK, but I would be a little worried if the numbers grew to an unmanageable level when visiting other peoples property.

Regarding making contact with early WM blogger's, I guess they would have been contacted by RootsChat direct. I know when I switch my computer on I am informed by them that a new message has been placed. Of course, we being in seventies must accept some of them will have dropped off their perch by now. Brian, could I ask you to add a Pauline Hill to researches in FR & FB, I have tried to find her, but to no avail, she was my girl friend (sort of) at WM.

Regards

Mike   

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 10 January 15 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Again, Hi all.

I have been thinking (not a good thing to do!). Every Sunday at WM we would walk to the church in Sheet, when it closed I am sure we presented the church with a wooden lectern. Now, what do you think of the idea of a short remembrance service in the afternoon, held in the church, to give thanks to those who made WM such a happy place. I am research church details.
Regards

Mike

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 12 January 15 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike,
You're certainly making good headway with the visit, and I agree a pre visit is called for just to make sure evrything is ok, I'd hate us to fall foul of Health & Safety Gnomes!

While I don't think we want to encourage too many non pupils to attend, I would suggest that everyone should be able to bring one guest, at our age it might be that some need a driver.
Agree no point contacting bloggers here as I suggested, as you so rightly point out everyone probably gets notified automatically with all new posts.
What year was Pauline Hill at West Mark?

I'm in full agreement re Church Service if you can arrange it for the monday.
I spoke to Brian Waxman yesterday who confirms he will attend the reunion.
Mike/Ramsey. If you can let me have your email addresses I'll send you copies of the Christmas Term 1952 West Mark Magazine, as I've now scanned all of it.

Brian

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 12 January 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

Regarding numbers, lets see how it grows in the upcoming months. Re Pauline Hill, I guess 1954 to 1956. Regarding the MW photos, magazines, & memorabilia, etc. may I suggest TO ALL expupils who are coming to bring it with you on the day.
I have been in touch with the Half Moon pub, they confirm we could have use of a private room if numbers can justify it, and obviously can provide coffees, lunch etc. All this to firmed up nearer the day. I shall be in touch with the church in Sheet shortly to discuss a short Thanksgiving (this title I think is more appropriate) Service, I'll keep you all on progress. Any body any idea as to how we find Mr Evans's daughter?

Regards  Mike 

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 12 January 15 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike.
Thanks for Pauline's information, I'll put a message on Genes Reunited as I will for Mr Evans Daughter.
Thanks for the information re the Half Moon, just what we wanted, I had intended ringing them but you've beat me to it.

When we know who is coming I'll ask for them to bring Memorabilia, the only piece I have is the Magazine for the Christmas Term 1952, and I'll print a copy for everyone attending.
Photo is from when I called in to West Mark in September 2003, the path just visible to the right if I remember correctly is the start of the Dell.
Brian

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Mike,
I've posted a 'Looking For' Pauline Hill on Friends Reunited.

Mike/Ramsey.
I noticed there is also a facility for posting a reunion notice on FR, so I've also posted a Reunion notice that I think will go out to everyone Registered to the West Mark page, so let's hope it stirs a few ex pupils in to life!
I've also contacted Heidi, Mr Evans Grand daughter, who has previously posted information regarding him, and asked is she in contact with Mr Evans Daughter.

Brian

Offline Mike Pitson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Well done Brian!
Things are falling into place nicely. I am waiting for a reply from the church, but they are normally shut on Mondays.
Regards
Mike

Offline fay66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Mike/Ramsey,
Just heard from Gerald Bailey, that he and his wife will be joining us, and has already booked a hotel in Portsmouth!
Mary Goff (Nee rosemary Arnold) who now lives in Canada and was due to visit the UK in Septembe,r is looking at the possibility of changing the date so that she can join us, nothing firm at present, but fingers crossed.
Brian