Author Topic: West Mark School, Petersfield  (Read 69291 times)

Offline eagleknight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Mark School, Petersfield
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 October 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Donald

Pleased to hear from you as a former West Mark student. I agree it was a great experience, my brother and I were there between 1952 and 1955.

Happy for you to contact me at my e-mail address for a further exchange... *

Regards
Brian Davis

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Flowerinoz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Benvic

I was at Westmark in 1953 (Winchester Dorm)

For information re the school, people who attended and many photos, go to Westmark School on FRIENDS REUNITED.  There you can contact any former pupils you knew.

From memory the school was originally a Canadian army base, and after it closed the buildings were razed to the ground, which is why there seems to be not a lot of information left.  It was run for London children on a 'term' basis.  Some children stayed for years - I was only there for a couple of  terms and then returned to my normal school.

The headmaster, Mr. Evans, passed away a couple of years ago or so in Southend at the age of 92.  Mr. Keating is no longer with us either.

Oh yes, I have very fond memories of the Dell.  I think it's still one of my most favourite places of all time.

Offline vivamus two

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I have just entered a search for west mark school, and have read your comments. I too have memories of my stay  between 1951 & 1955 when the school closed. I can honestly say it was the happiest time of my life, the dell and woods were a wonderful experience, the sunday march to church and saturday trip into petersfield. I took my son there some years ago and all that was left was the open air swimming pool. I would love to share memories with any other pupils'

Offline vivamus two

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 January 12 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I have just entered a search for west mark school, and have read your comments. I too have memories of my stay  between 1951 & 1955 when the school closed. I can honestly say it was the happiest time of my life, the dell and woods were a wonderful experience, the sunday march to church and saturday trip into petersfield. I took my son there some years ago and all that was left was the open air swimming pool. I would love to share memories with any other pupils. Peter

Offline eagleknight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Donald and Benvic and any other ex students from West Mark School

Guess we are all getting on a bit now and missing the old values of respect and caring we were all taught at West Mark. Is it me or was life more beautiful in those austere days following the second world war. Certainly life was wonderful for me and my siblings during that period and I cannot remember any feelings of ever being unhappy or deprived.  We were certainly lucky kids, in our family, to have such caring and inventive parents and the lead up to Christmases was always magical with a mysterious smell of fresh paint in the air where our dad had made us clever mechanical toys from wood and mum providing us all trendy cloths on her sewing machine...

Our mutual experiences as students at West Mark under the caring and protective regime of Mr George Evans was, clearly, equally wonderful, given the comments you have made covering that period.... A happy and caring new year to you all.

Kindest regards
Brian Davis
(West Mark Student 1952 to 1955)

Offline Westmark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 July 12 14:33 BST (UK) »
I was at Westmark during 1950, finished as school captain and remember taking Mr Graham  Evans daughter to church at Sheet, so she could attend confirmation classes.  Over the last 15 months I was sent a Friends Reunited contact from which she then sent me all the information she found at the Winchester records office.  This starts from 1949 and has a copy of the closure in 1955 this was made by the then Minister of Education, Sir David Eccles, what did he know it was without doubt the best school I ever attended and who could say history was dull when you went to Winchester and Salisbury Cathedral's, Bosham church too which I was in a few days ago, Stonehenge and Carisbrook Castle.

My friend has just found some more photo's of out time at the school also a reunion in about 1953.  To my mind it was the best thing Middlesex County Council did at 50 shillings a week, even if you had to have cold showers but the the porridge at the bottom of the urn made up for that.

Offline ceazer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 July 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, nice to hear memories from old school friends. Would be nice to see more photographs & old news. :) I had forgoten things like the walk to church & the 'dell'. On reflection such happy times!!!!!!! Met my first girl friend at west mark. I lived in south harrow & an old school **chum moved into the same road (avenue). Does anybody organise reunions? I was in midhurst dorm. 1952-1955. the kid with ginger hair. Loved football,sports days & going for walks ? ( mostly getting wet in streams & having fun) :D!    ** brian d.?

Offline ceazer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 15:48 BST (UK) »
benvic. Were you in Midhurst dormitory? Ceazer.

Offline ceazer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 August 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi I was at westmark 1952-1955 in Midhurst dormitory. My first girl friend was Norah Irving. Did you know her? Do you have any old photos of the school. Had many happy times there. Please reply. Thanks. Brian