Author Topic: Haywood House, Whitecross Road....anyone?!  (Read 2392 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haywood House, Whitecross Road....anyone?!
« on: Wednesday 18 May 11 21:27 BST (UK) »
Relatives of mine, Thomas Smith & his wife Eliza Ann (nee Owen) were apparently the governor and matron of an "asylum" (of some sort) at this address at some time between 1870s and 1900.  My computer searches have not turned up anything on the property and its history at all.  I should love to know more about it; and so just wondered if there were any kind local historians out there who could provide me with any information on it?

Many thanks! :-*
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Haywood House, Whitecross Road....anyone?!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 11 09:57 BST (UK) »
Can you give us the Year of birth of Thomas and Eliza Ann , so we can look for them in the 1881 census....did they marry on 22nd March 1859 in Penkridge ,Stafford  ??
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 11 14:51 BST (UK) »
That's a good idea, Allan!  I would be very grateful for any and all help.

They were married on 21st June 1879 -- afraid I don't know where.  They never had children.  Eliza was born 29th April 1833, and I think Thomas in 1846!  (So she got herself a bit of a "toy boy"!)  We have his name followed by Haywood House address on the back of (an undated) photo -- so the place has to have existed.  It's just so strange that I can find no reference to it.
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
have now myself checked censuses with some very interesting results -- shame I didn't think to do that before posing my original question!  In 1901 census, Thomas and Eliza are living in what appears to be an ordinary domestic dwelling at 73 Whitecross Road -- and I assume (since it is what appears on the back of my photo) that that house had a name (ie Haywood House) as well as a number.  Hence, I am afraid I allowed myself to be led astray, thinking that Haywood House was the property they were running!  But the 1891 & 1881 censuses show them living at Hereford Country & City Asylum, Burghill/Burghill Lunatic Asylum  :o-- and THIS was the property they ran! 

so apologies to all for confusion and for, frankly, wasting people's time.  I shall now go and see what I can find out about THIS property! ::)

Offline RedMike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 May 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Haywood house is number 221 whitecross road and has been used as a dentist surgery For quite a few years. Ive experienced many a painful visit there myself.

if you go onto google maps street view, the house and the name plate above the door can be clearly seen. Its to the right of the turning into sollars close.

Although Burghill is  a village 3 mile up the road from here, im sure that one of the other houses in Whitecross road has the nameplate "Burghill villa" or something like that above the door.  Im up & down that road every day, I'll have a look for you.

My Line
Preece - Herefordshire.
Adams - Herefordshire.
Jenkins - Herefordshire South/ Ross On Wye.
Norman -Herefordshire.
Hall - Llanelly (Abergavenny).

My wife's line
George - Herefordshire & Denbighshire
Howells - Pandy (Abergavenny)
Ruck - Llangattock lingoed & Llantillio Crossenny (Abergavenny East)
Williams - Orcop Herefordshire
Meadmore - Orcop Herefordshire.

And of course  anyone marrying into the above,

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 11 23:12 BST (UK) »
wow -- that's amazing, RedMike!  Shame I never thought of checking google maps street view for myself; but you've pointed me to a whole new tool I can now use in all my future genealogical investigations to check out where my assorted ancestors were living.  (Yippee!)  Looks like it's a pretty substantially sized villa -- and yet there were just the two of them living there. 

Thanks so much for your time and trouble in telling me about Haywood House and its present unpleasant function.  I hate dentists, too!