Author Topic: Preserving documents COMPLETED, THANK YOU  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Little_Nell57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Four generations
    • View Profile
Preserving documents COMPLETED, THANK YOU
« on: Thursday 19 May 11 06:01 BST (UK) »
I would like some advice on the best way to preserve some documents.  I have found a bundle of letters that my grandfather wrote to my parents (he wrote to each individually) and some of them are written in pencil.  As some of the letters are over 50 years old, they are becoming very faint, and I would like to be able to keep them safely.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.  Thanking you in advance.

Narelle
Bridget Lawler  Ireland?-Tasmania; Moore, Kerrison, Williams, Wilson, Watson, McDonald
Chapman, Symonds, Mortimer, Galbraith

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving documents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 11 06:11 BST (UK) »
I know it won't preserve what he actually wrote, but it might be an idea to transcribe them yourself.  The light from a photocopier might not do them any good and the results might be patchy anyway ... there's a spray you can get from art stores that's supposed to "preserve" pencilled things, but I've been told it's not really a good idea (thankfully Prue M saved me from making that mistake again!).
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 11 06:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Narelle :)

Unless it's something like indelible/laundry pencil, it won't fade.  It might get rubbed off as people handle it, and the paper can become weak or damaged, so my best suggestion is to scan or take copies of everything, and then store the originals in archival plastic sleeves inside a folder or album, or even in a box.  By "archival" I mean "not PVC" (which you would be hard-pressed to find these days anyway).  The plastic sleeves you can buy at the newsagents or office suppliers are just fine, if a little flimsy.  Heavier-gauge ones are available from conservation/library suppliers.

I'm glad Deb remembers my lesson about the spray  ;D ;)

There are some topics which might be helpful, at the top of the "FH Documents and Artefacts" Board (where I'm about to move this topic to  ;)  )
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,420.0.html

Cheers
Prue

Offline Little_Nell57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Four generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 11 08:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestions Deb and Prue.  I really want to save them as is, because this gentleman wrote (apart from some really awwwwful spelling - which is understandable) a lovely letter and he had not one day's education.  Therefore, is it the "copy safe" sleeves that you are meaning Prue?  My sister used to use them years ago, but all was lost when she died as a result of a house fire, and along with the fire went all the information that she had gathered.

I learned from reading the letters how desperate my grandad was to keep in touch with the family that he had only just found (or who ultimately found him), after many years of searching.  The irony is, it was the need to put in a claim on an estate in her mother's family that led to Mum discovering that the father she thought was dead was in fact very much alive.  Mum's mother had told her that grandad had died in WWI.  So you can see why I would like to keep them as-is.

Thanks again.

Narelle
Bridget Lawler  Ireland?-Tasmania; Moore, Kerrison, Williams, Wilson, Watson, McDonald

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 11 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Narelle,

How sad about your sister - I am very sorry to hear that  :-\  And what an interesting family story your letters tell!  They are a real treasure.  I only have a couple of such things but they give great insights into our ancestors.

Yes, the "copy safe" ones are just fine.  You can scan or photocopy the original letters so that people can handle them to their hearts' content, and pop the originals in sleeves for safekeeping. 

Cheers
Prue

Offline Little_Nell57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Four generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Prue

Narelle

Offline joseph25

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving documents COMPLETED, THANK YOU
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
I'm on Twitter and my essay