Author Topic: McBAIN or Bain Aberdeen  (Read 6298 times)

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McBAIN or Bain Aberdeen
« on: Thursday 19 May 11 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, does anyone know whether it was common practice for scottish people to add or drop  "mc" to or from their  name at various times?   
 Have checked Scotlands  People and am almost certain that my JESSIE MCBAIN had a son WILLIAM MCBAIN  in 1863 at Back Wynd Stairs. He was illegitimate.  In 1884 he married under the name of Bain to Jane Walker.
 Also cannot Jessie,s death that fits . Found a Jessie Bain  in Macher Poorhouse that could be her in 1881 census.  I think I have read on this site that Poorhouse records may not have survived, so may never find her death
 Also, family lore says William was raised by a lighthouse keeper.  I have searched, but unable to find any list of lighthouse keepers from this time. 
  Any pointers greatly appreciated. ab

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McBAIN or Bain Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Will have a look on census after kids at school!

Not sure if dropping or adding the Mc/Mac was particularly common but I have come across it. Same with Irish surnames adding/dropping O' . I think a lot depends on who actually fills in the record forms and their literacy ability!

If your Jessie had a son in 1863 then whether she ended up in the Poorhouse or not, you should be able to find her death records on Scotland's People. The Poorhouse records may not have survived but her death record should be there somewhere.
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 11 11:28 BST (UK) »
Have been looking up Jessie McBain and think I may have her right up to 1901. Whether she is your one or not I don't know but maybe.

1861 Jessie McBain age 27 born c 1834 Old Machar, Lunatic Domestic Servant (charming isn't it?) Old Machar Poorhouse

1871 Jessie Bain age 37 born c 1834, cook in Poor House Old Machar

1881 - as you have, in poor house Old Machar

1891 - Jessie Bain age 57, born c 1834 Old Machar, former domestic servant Old Machar Poorhouse

1901 - Jessee Bain age 68 born c1833 Old Machar, occ 'formerly nurse bick domestic' West Poor House Fonthill Road

If you think that is her, then you can narrow down her date of death. I can't access the 1911 census on ancestry but you can search on Scotland's People. If she's not on it, then you are looking at a death between 1901 and 1911. Good luck!
East Lothian/Midlothian

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 11 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thankyou ever so much for your time and new information.

I checked the 1911 Census on Scotlands people, and found  this Jessie  still in the Poorhouse as an inmate, aged  78.

Cannot match a death for this Jessie on Scotlands People

I am trying to  ascertain whether the poorhose Jessie is in fact William's[born 1863 ]mother.

I had him narrowed down to being born at Back Wynd Stairs, but if he is this Jessie's son

seems he could  have been born in the poorhouse. ??

Really appreciate your help. ab

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have a copy of the birth record for William? What info is on that?

If that is your Jessie still alive in 1911 you won't be able to look at her death record online - you'd need to order it or if someone is going to the records office they can view it and transcribe it for you. (I'm going mid June - PM me if you'd like me to try to find her).

Do you have parents names for Jessie? Might be able to find her on IGI if you do.

you mentioned William possibly being brought up by a lighthouse keeper. Do you know where he lived as a child and when he may have left his mother? He may well have been born in the workhouse. Will have a look for him now!
East Lothian/Midlothian

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 11 16:44 BST (UK) »
Can't seem to find William before his marriage to Jane. Not listed in the workhouse in 1871 but maybe was staying with someone else by then?  :(

I did find a William M Bain who was a boarder with an innkeeper in 1871 but it says he was born in Strichen and I think I have the same one in 1901 so not the right one.

Not sure how you can definitely say that the Jessie we have found is the Jessie who had William. Maybe someone else might have an idea.
East Lothian/Midlothian

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 May 11 07:23 BST (UK) »
 Thanks again . I feel that the Jessie you  found for me in the poor house  is  probably Williams mother.

It is quite impossible when a fathers name is missing. Even on his marriage there is no father listed.,just says mother Jessie Bain, Domestic servant, which is what she was in poor house for some time.  Sad to think she lived there most of her life. William ended up studying veterinary science,so she would have been proud of him, anyway.

I would really appreciate it  if you were able to transcribe Jessie,s death cert, in mid June. I will try to narrow her death down as close as possible. She was 78 in 1911  census, so can,t imagine her living much after that

Have not been able to find her birth, or parents on S.P. as  yet.

Best Wishes.  ab

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 May 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
Okay - will do my best to find her for you. Of course, depending on the informant's knowledge, there may be no parents listed! I have a death record for a 3XGreat Grandmother which says parents unknown but I do have her parents from her marriage record. And I hate to tell you but I think she died in a poorhouse too! If nothing else, you'll have her date of death.
East Lothian/Midlothian

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 May 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
hi all  :)

death certs. are available to view online at SP up to 1960

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records