Author Topic: How to Pay for an English Will with Canadian Dollars  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How to Pay for an English Will with Canadian Dollars
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 May 11 09:47 BST (UK) »
As far as friends go, nobody that is going to London any time soon.
They don't have to be going to London - all you need is someone in the UK that you trust with that amount of money.

Option a (if friend has cheque facility) - send a UK friend the value of the docs and have them write a cheque.

Option b (if friend does not have cheque facility) - send a UK friend the value of the docs, plus a bit extra, and they can go get a postal order for you (the extra is to cover the cost of the PO, something like 10% if I remember correctly.

In both cases they can then send off the cheque or PO along with the form, filled in with your Canada address so that the docs then come straight to you.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 May 11 09:49 BST (UK) »

Unless they won't take the cash of course!

I noticed on a post here recently that the fee per will has risen/is rising to £6, but there's no mention of that on their website.  It would be a nuisance if they did put up the price when I can only send notes in multiples of 5.  :-\

Koromo

I suppose you'd have to send over the odds then and put a £10 in for one will and tell them to stick the change in their tea and coffee fund  ;D

I didn't like to say just put a bank note in the application as you are not supposed to send money through the post.................hey ho  ;)

But whatever you feel comfortable with.

They really need to move into the 21st century don't they  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 May 11 14:14 BST (UK) »

I noticed on a post here recently that the fee per will has risen/is rising to £6, but there's no mention of that on their website.  It would be a nuisance if they did put up the price when I can only send notes in multiples of 5.  :-\

Koromo

When I received my Wills in April - a letter was attached & included in bold print was
Please be advised as of the 4th April 2011 our search fees will increase from  £5 to  £6 for a standard search.......

So if you order 5 Wills you wont lose out on any money !
Cathy
Sedgwick- George, Thomas, Charles, Eddie, Harry
Wilcockson - Thomas, Joseph, Edward, William Henry
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 May 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
I ordered 4 wills last November.I got International money orders from my bank in Canada for 5 pounds each.It took over half an hour because the bank hadn't done any before, but only cost me just over$32.00.
Liz
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire

Offline suzyvan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 May 11 22:53 BST (UK) »
I ordered  4 wills from Australia last year and paid with Visa card. I first contacted them by phone and made the arrangements as they do not have an encrypted page to make a safe deal.with your card details.
Had the certificates with in two weeks.
Suzy

Offline Canuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always seeking info on EVE Family in Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 May 11 02:02 BST (UK) »
Aha!  The good old telephone.  I knew there must be a way.  Phone calls are so cheap now.  I'll try that!  I get the feeling that that ministry is rather resistant to change and modernization.  But, Brits, please don't take offence.  I researched for the Attorney General's ministry here, and they were very up tight, too.  Legal disclaimers in the coffee room.  I mean, really!
EVE, CARTER, HADLOW, BONES, all between Faversham and Canterbury, Kent, England