Author Topic: 1871 Yorkshire (Bilton) Shields COMPLETE  (Read 1763 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
1871 Yorkshire (Bilton) Shields COMPLETE
« on: Sunday 13 June 04 02:04 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the family of Willaim Shields in Bilton, Skirlaugh in the 1871 Census.  His wife was Fanny Clark born in Garton.  William was born about 1836 in Preston to Joseph Shields and Elizabeth Whisker.  He worked as an agricutural laborer.  Family lore says it was on a nearby estate.  The children were: Thomas Edward, Annie Elizabeth, Emily, George, William Jr and Sophia.  

I am curious if there is an estate named in theri street address.  They supposedly lived in a rental/tenant housing near the estate.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline barbarai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Yorkshire (Bilton) Shields
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 July 04 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
I found your family in the 1871 census:

William Shields   34  agricultural labourer   Preston, yorks
fanny shields      36  labourers wife            Garston  yorks
Annie Elizabeth   13  scholar                       Preston, yorks
Thomas Edward  10  scholar                       Bilton, Yorks
Sophia                  8  Scholar                       Bilton, Yorks
William                  5                                    Bilton, Yorks
Emily                     2                                    Bilton, Yorks

Unfortunatley there is no street adress given on this page or any other in the same area.
Barbara
Phillips- monmouthshire & Kent, Ilsley- Berkshire & London, Reed- Lambeth & London, Drake- London, Eke- Norfolk, Martin-London,Gilson- Essex, Hubbard-Suffolk, Pevan-Russia, Gordon-I.O.W & Kent, Richardson-London & Essex, Willis-Bristol & London, Arthur -Devon & London, Burch-Beds & Herts., Bunce-Bucks & Herts, Hewey- London.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 July 04 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the census look up.  It helps so much to be able to trace where my Yorkshire ancestors lived and where they were born. - Nutkin ;D
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 July 04 13:58 BST (UK) »
Nutkin

Here is your full census details including scans

1871 England Census
  « Global Search Results 
Name Age in 1871 Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County/Island

Annie Elizh Shields 13  Bilton, Yorkshire, England Daughter  Bilton  Yorkshire   
Emily Shields 2  Bilton, Yorkshire, England Daughter  Bilton  Yorkshire   
Fanny Shields 36  Garton, Yorkshire, England Wife  Bilton  Yorkshire   
Sophia Shields 8  Bilton, Yorkshire, England Daughter  Bilton  Yorkshire   
Thomas Edward Shields 10  Bilton, Yorkshire, England Son  Bilton  Yorkshire   
William Shields 34  Preston, Yorkshire, England Head  Bilton  Yorkshire   
William Shields 5  Bilton, Yorkshire, England Son  Bilton  Yorkshire 

RG10/ 4801/ Folio 4/ Page 2 - Bilton, Yorks

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 July 04 14:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the scans!- Kristin ;)

Offline antiquarian_m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am new to Rootschat, so I am not sure how I will fit in, however we have been researching our family tree for many years, but we are also (when time permits) researching our house history.
You may be interested to know that Bilton was a very small village at that time, no streets to mention, only a couple or so, the Main street and Back lane being 90% of the village! Back Lane was named as such, because it was the Back way to my house, this was originally part of Viscount Downe/Dawnay's estate, so its a good possibility that your folklore is correct, and maybe your ancestor worked for the once owners of my home!

let me know if you want me to delve deeper!

Regards Antiquarian

Bibby Hull and Wigan.  Rewston Hull Lincolnshire. Reeve Lincolnshire

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 October 04 02:55 BST (UK) »
I would love to know more about the family.  Supposedly, my great great grandmother was a nanny and then governess on the estate in Bilton.  Her name was Emily Shields.  It is said she was smart and pretty.  Emily's father was supposedly the head gardener and his name was William SHields.  I have been trying to find out the name of the estate for years.  My great-great uncle, William Nixon, and Emily's son came to the US in 1907.  He left 2 letters about Bilton but did not know the name of the estate.

Any help would be very appreciated.  I would love to know about where they lived.  I am an urban planner by trade and love the built enironment.  It tells us so much about people and history.- Kristin