Author Topic: Why was I born in Wales?  (Read 7848 times)

Offline billramp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why was I born in Wales?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 May 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Thanks for that..I will drop them a line.  I know I was given a fairly ornate card with details on including the names of my godparents.... I believe my godmother was spanish and godfather Welsh....but unfortunately no contact since then.
When mymother died a few years ago, the house was ransacked and old photos etc were taken or dumped.
The history of St Paul's confused me at first, as I read it it had just been finished, but on reading further, I think it was reporting on what had happened when the
church was dedicated...but no date.
Thanks for the 'mod' bit......always thought that button was for reporting something 'naughty'  !!!!!! 

Bill
RAMPLING and CHANDLER London,Middlesex,Surrey.
DOWN,  HITCHCOCK, PAGE  London and Devon.
HIGGS  London and Warwickshire (Birmingham)
SAUNDERS Folkestone, Kent
JERVIS, HOLMES, DOWNS  Longton,Staffordshire
BARRINGTON London
MILES, DEAN London, Somerset
POLGREAN Cornwall

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 May 11 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,
              Your history has made very interesting reading; I sympathise with your lack of surviving helpful relations and the difficulties caused by family moves. Can't offer any help myself, but you are obviously in good hands here. It's good to know you feel at home in Wales; one good maxim, I think, is that you are as Welsh as you feel.
               Best of luck with your searches,
                                 Pinot  :)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

I wondered if you had looked at Genes Reunited?

I can see 2 entries which seem to refer to your family. Perhaps they may have some information to share with you?

Alan

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 09:13 BST (UK) »

Personally, I have always believed that you are from where your heart tells you regardless of other factors.

Totally agree Falkryn,home is where the heart is.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline billramp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 04:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pinot for your words......Unfortunately, unlike today, when I was young, certain family 'goings on' were never mentioned and also with both mum and dad  having had parents who had married before, there was also a certain amount of bad feeling with brothers and sisters of the first marriage.
I really get interested in how people meet....for example my mothers mother came from a family who were flax growers and weavers in somerset, one of them went to london and sold goods in the rag trade in London, he then worked there and moved to a chandlers shop in the old kent road, selling cloth, which is where my grandmother was born. My gfather, a fisherman in Folkestone also had a ships chandlers shop and I think would go up to London to buy sailcloth, rope etc  ....they married and I believe dad, a londoner, would deliver these goods to Folkestone and met mum.......

Yes Alan... I am a GR member and there are some Ramplings on there but I have been in contact and neither of us have yet established a connection.
My gggfather was born out of wedlock to a Mary Chandler and on the various certs I have and census, the surname keeps changing from Rampling to Chandler, then to Rampling- Chandler then to Chandler- Rampling and then finally Rampling....
Just getting a bit of relief from the London-Folkestone side to work on my own Welsh side!!
Very interested tv programme on earlier giving a glimpse of how people managed during the war in the valleys....some present day families were 'transported back in time to then' to live and work like they did.
It mentioned that there were 2000 soldiers etc there during the war and wives of servicemen would have to work locally - some in the munitions factory.
Thank you Seoras....makes me feel better already.

Bill
BARRINGTON London
POLGREAN Cornwall

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 07:16 BST (UK) »
" Why was I born in Wales?"

The simple answer is of course,because that's where your mum was at the time!

I had to say it,it's what I've thought every time I see the title of this thread.

;D ;D ;D

Carol  8)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline billramp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 May 11 04:09 BST (UK) »
Carol.......you go Top of the Class!!!
Thanks for that...at least it made you look!!

I have since found an old Pearl assurance Penny Policy on myself which gives yet another address at 65 St Paul's Rd, Aberavon.... when I was six weeks old...that is now eight addresses by the time I was five.
I have found the house on google and like the other two places in that area, they are private houses, so do not appear to be army houses.    I will have to wait until I get dad's service record before I know definitely..............I wonder if wives of the 2000 or so servicemen would have been put up in 'digs'?

Bill
BARRINGTON London
POLGREAN Cornwall

Offline NeilHarvey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill, we are related through Edward Saunders 1821. My line is from his son, John Warman Saunders via his daughter Sarah Ann Saunders and her daughter Ellen Maud Tumber (my grandmother).

I cannot help with your Ramplings I am afraid (though I have now linked Dorothy L Saunders to Leonard Arthur Rampling, from your post) but have a lot of research on your Folkestone side and would be happy to let you have a gedcom.

I would also appreciate any data you can give me on that side, particularly on your John Warman Saunders (1874) and his families with Esther Boughton and Juliet Miles.

Best regards,

Neil

Offline billramp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil
Thanks for your reply and welcome to RootsChat

Are you, by any chance, the Neil who comes up a lot on my Hot Matches on Genes Reunited?

It would certainly be good to see what you have done.   I don't know what relation we actually are!  but I can certainly see your grandmother on my tree, and it would be great to keep in contact.

I think you have to make three posts before we can PM, so if you reply to this, I may then be able to PM you and send you my email..(email addresses are protected on this site and do not appear in posts).

I do know quite a lot of what mum told me, but since she died, most contact has been lost.  It must have been about 1983 when I last visited Folkestone.

Please forgive me if I do not answer straight away, but I am a carer for my wife, and sometimes it is a bit difficult...but I certainly look forward to hearing from you.

Bill
BARRINGTON London
POLGREAN Cornwall