Author Topic: Why was I born in Wales?  (Read 7849 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Why was I born in Wales?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 00:17 BST (UK) »

I have found the house on google and like the other two places in that area, they are private houses, so do not appear to be army houses. 
  Bill

They might not have been then Bill.I know one estate in Cornwall that was all RAF but is now private.Other places could have been requisitioned or perhaps soldiers may have been billetted with families.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline billramp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 01:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Seoras...

Have been looking at another couple of sites and a Port Talbot chat room, and some old threads suggest that the hospital may have been used for 'forces' casualties during the war, and dad could have been sent there because he was disabled, and mum followed and as you suggest may well have been billetted with various families...dad's address when I was born was given as 19 Abbey Road, and six weeks later mum was at St Paul's rd, Aberavon......perhaps abbey road could not cope with a howling baby like me!!!!!
Bill
RAMPLING and CHANDLER London,Middlesex,Surrey.
DOWN,  HITCHCOCK, PAGE  London and Devon.
HIGGS  London and Warwickshire (Birmingham)
SAUNDERS Folkestone, Kent
JERVIS, HOLMES, DOWNS  Longton,Staffordshire
BARRINGTON London
MILES, DEAN London, Somerset
POLGREAN Cornwall

Offline NeilHarvey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,

Yes, I am probably the one you find on Genes Re but I do not have time to log on there much.

This will be my second post. Do I need to make another, for you to make contact? Excuse my ignorance but what does "PM" mean?

Best regards,

Neil

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
one more post will allow you to send a PM (personal message) - you should see a green scroll under a users name, click on that and you can send a message. To check if you have recieved any look at the top of the page you should see a line starting - Welcome back with the number of messages - clicking on that will bring them on screen

Offline NeilHarvey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bill, I got your message. Hopefully, after this post, I will be able to contact you,

Neil

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
If you have any surviving uncles or aunts, ask them. If they are no longer alive, they may have said something to one of your cousins. It is possible that your mother was evacuated to a safer area. There was a grouping in the list of people to be evacuated which included expectant mothers.

Graham.

I doubt that  Neath and Port Talbot would be a safe place to be evacuated to,  as it was an Industrial area   Steel Making.     and not far from the Port of Swansea.               so ,   No   I do not think that would be an area to evacuate pregnant women to.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich