Author Topic: I need help in finding John Glover.complete  (Read 2323 times)

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I need help in finding John Glover.complete
« on: Sunday 22 May 11 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

This one is fast becoming a brick wall, that I would like to be able to solve, I am trying to find any details of my 2x great uncles life in New Zealand, Arthur John Glover born in 1870 in Martock, England arrived in New Zealand, aboard the Halcione in 1873, with his parents John and Isabella Glover and their two other siblings, Mary Jane, 1865 and James, 1872. Not long after the family settled in Havelock, Isabella and her young son James died. The following year John married a Susan Moir.

All I know about Arthur is that on the Halcione passenger list he is listed by his second name John. The next time I find him is on his father's death certificate (his father John died in 1924) he is listed as a living issue of the first marriage. I think there may be a possibility that in New Zealand he used the name John instead of his given name Arthur.

cheers

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I need help find Arthur John Glover aka John Glover.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 11 06:01 BST (UK) »
So many John Glovers in ERolls and BMDs
but a few that are close to age
JOHN GLOVER at BMD online
Death 1947 age 79..bn abt 1868
Death 1953 age 85 bn abt 1868

so given variance they could stretch to a 1870 birthdate??

BYe
Althea

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I need help to find Arthur John Glover aka John Glover.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 11 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Althea

I have followed through on the John Glover who died in 1947, and this one married in England, not to say that he isn't the one, I'm after, he came to New Zealand  some time before his first child was born 1914. I believe this John was a Maoriland worker and an ex-Wellington City Councillor so I'm not sure he is mine. As I said at the beginning this one is a brick wall, and with nothing to go on, it makes it much harder. Thanks for your help.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: I need help in finding John Glover.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 11 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hello...

Do you have any info on his surviving sibling, Mary Jane.

I'm just curious because there are two likely marriages for a Mary Jane GLOVER, namely BDM 1884/2265 to James ANDREWS and BDM 1887/1178 to Richard OLIVER. Fortunately both of the Mary Jane's have probates at Archives NZ and just maybe they'll mention a brother (Arthur John) or sister-in-law or niece or nephew.

Mary Jane ANDREWS and her husband James are buried together in the Old Levin Cemetery. This Mary Jane died in 1944 aged 78 (b.1866) and her probate is more than likely the one mentioned at Archives NZ which was registered in 1944 at the Palmerston North High Court.

Mary Jane OLIVER and her husband Richard are buried together in Karori Cemetery, Wellington. This Mary Jane died in 1928 aged 67 (b.1861) and her probate is more than likely the one mentioned at Archives NZ registered in 1928 at the Wellington High Court.

You can view the respective details of the two probates at Archway

There's no harm in asking for a look-up.....unless you already know what happened to Mary Jane in which case ignore this post :-)

Regards
Beg

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I need help in finding John Glover.
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Beg,

Mary Jane Glover and James Andrews are my great grandparents, and no I haven't considered looking at the Palmerston North probate, possibly because I thought it wouldn't be hers because she died in Levin. Any way I will now ask for a look up to see if it is the correct one, hopefully her brother is still alive then. Just goes to show that sometimes we need an extra pair of eyes. Thanks, your help is most appreciated.

jericho

Offline Shirl1955

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I need help in finding John Glover.complete
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 24 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Did you sort out the John and Isabelle Glover mystery?
I can help with the Glover side