Author Topic: RUSSELL, Francis James "Frank" - can't find on birth index  (Read 5139 times)

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
RUSSELL, Francis James "Frank" - can't find on birth index
« on: Monday 23 May 11 02:25 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm helping a friend to research a family member, Francis James "Frank" RUSSELL. Apparently he was born in Wellington about 1857.... but neither my friend nor myself can find him on the birth index... why? His marriage certificate says his parents were Richard Russell and Elizabeth Smith.
Francis died in Wanganui on the 6th of October 1917. His wife (Fanny Elizabeth nee HOLLAND) died years earlier in Levin on the 17th of September 1899 of Enteritis. She was from Nova Scotia. They are both buried side by side in The Tiro Tiro Rd Cemetery in Levin.

Could somebody out there please help us find Francis/Frank on the birth index?

Thanks so much!!
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: RUSSELL, Francis James "Frank" - can't find on birth index
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 11 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just speculating here, but there is an unnamed male born in 1856 ... with no name doesn't help, but if you haven't found him by entering his christian name, could be the odds that the unnamed male is him.

Another pair of eyes will still be on the look out.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 11 02:37 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this will be the case in this instance, but if I can't find someone who I know was born in NZ on the BDMH website, the red flag goes up and I start looking at the birth microfiche to see whether perhaps the person was instead adopted.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 May 11 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your help!
Definately something to go on... I will suggest that my friend gets the birth printout for this unnamed male, and ask if they've looked in the birth microfiche... (not sure if their local library in Levin has birth microfiche, though).

Best wishes
Rachel
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 May 11 02:53 BST (UK) »
I searched between the years 1850-1860 and that was the only one that popped up.   Just entered the surname in.

Cheers
KHP

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 May 11 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel  From a Google Search - Looks like Levin Library may well be able to assist you. There is a book in the library there -

see the following link 

http://horowhenua.kete.net.nz/site/topics/show/1059-history-of-muhunoa-east-by-mr-wh-rolston

In 1968 Mr. W.H. Rolston presented to the Levin Public Library a book called 'Muhunoa East; a short and concise history of the North Island country settlement, situated in the southern part of Manawatu. from its commencement in 1888".

Also on the interactive site  - there are the following messages with contact details for family

My Great Grandfather Francis Russell I believe farmed in the area. My Grandfather was born in Ohau, his name was Claude Alfred Russell.

My purpose is to find out more about his father Francis or Frank Russell. If there is anyone out there that knows some history of the area and indeed Frank and Elizabeth (Fanny) Russell I would love to hear from you.

My Great Grandfather was also Frank Russell. There is a picture in Kete Horowhenua under the section "Forrestry and Sawmilling in the Horowhenua" that is cationned: "This photo, taken before 1900, shows a bullock wagon hauling a log along what is now The Avenue. It was used in the book - "From Bush to Borough - Levin Golden Jubilee Celebrations, 1906-1956" - page 18, with caption: Dick and Frank Russell's bullock team, November 1, 1901:"
[/i]

p.s. It's not my grandfather,  - they're the messages - that last one wouldn't go into italics for some reason

Hope this leads to something for you!   There may also be something at the Palmerston North Library

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 May 11 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is fantastic, thank you!
I've since found children for Francis/Frank and Fanny/Frances:
1885/18206 - Russell,  Micheal Richard  - Fanny Elizabeth & Francis
1886/19165 - Russell,  Francis Rowland -  Fanny Elizabeth & Frank
1888/1834 - Russell,  William Edward - Fanny Elizabeth & Francis
1889/8443 - Russell,  Rosina Eliza - Fanny Elizabeth & Francis
1890/14351 - Russell,  Claud Alfred - Fanny Elizabeth & Francis
1893/2932 - Russell,  Fanny Florence Isabella - Fanny Elizabeth & Francis
1895/11265 - Russell,  Myrtle Evelyn - Fanny Elizabeth & Francis James
1899/2289 - Russell, Henry Raymon - Frances & Francis

The last child (Henry). must be the granddad that Steve mentioned in that link that you gave to the Horowhenua/Kete website : )
Exciting!!
Thanks!

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 May 11 07:16 BST (UK) »
Good find Jeanne :)

Cheers
KHP

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 May 11 07:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks KHP - it's fun!!  And my best friend is Mr. Google when I should be doing other things like cooking,  cleaning, gardening, blah blah - that's boring!! 

Rachel - Did you see this bit from the book??  I keep going back!!    ;D

In 1905, Mr. R.A. Rolston acquired a property of some 66 acres joining his farm at the back on the north side from Mr. Russell, who had leased it from the Government, the rent being 2/7½d. per acre and was what was known as a perpetual lease of 999 years duration.
The land was in standing bush and unroaded.

Mr. Russell built a four-roomed house at the west end for himself and family, the only access to the property was through my father’s property, being an obligement by mutual consent. Mr Russell had also felled about half of the bush when he sold the good-will to my father for £150, who later was able to buy the freehold from the Government.

Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections