Author Topic: Catholic Marriages/Baptisms  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Irene Lilian Hunt

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Catholic Marriages/Baptisms
« on: Wednesday 27 April 05 01:32 BST (UK) »
I have for a long time been trying to work out how or why my ancestors in Somerset changed from C of E to Catholic and came up with the following from the Somerset Record Office.

Roman Catholic registers have only been deposited for Taunton, although transcripts are available for Cannington and Bath for limited periods. Remember that before 1837 all marriages (apart from those of Quakers and Jews) had to be performed in Anglican churches. 

My gr gr grandfather was C of E and his wife was baptised at St Mary Magdalen in Taunton in 1823 (her parents had been married there).  Then in 1851 they married in Bristol in both a Catholic and C of E Church. 

Their first child was baptised at St. Mary Magdalen, Taunton in 1853 as was their second child in 1855.  The second child died in 1856 and is supposed to be buried at St James', Taunton.  From then on all children were baptised in Catholic Churches.

I had assumed that somewhere along the line there was a "change of heart" regarding religion but could not understand the "double" marriage.

Could anyone offer some advise on this subject.  And would the same have applied to baptisms as well as marriages prior to 1837?

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Irene
NORFOLK: Spinks, Clay, Balls, Fife, Whistler, Head, Child, Youngs, Rising, Millican
SOMERSET:  Clay, Crosse, Oldfield, Harding, Curry
SHROPSHIRE:  Hunt, Cox, Bloore, Blantern, Cooke
FLINTSHIRE: Hunt, Mather, Cooke
KENT: Barwick, Jarman, Pearce, Graves, Beane, Scales
ARMAGH:  McArdle
TIPPERARY:  Beven/Bevens/Bevins, Cleary, Ryan
OFFALY: Cleary
GERMANY:  Conrades, Busse, Habenicht, Appuhn, Hage, Hillmer, Hernig, Wockener, Meyer, Schnranz
ESSEX:  Smith, Page