Author Topic: Up For A Challenge?  (Read 3850 times)

Offline R. Joshua Myers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Up For A Challenge?
« on: Tuesday 24 May 11 05:36 BST (UK) »
I never got these results before with any other name. I type in "Antoine Desmarias" in any kind of a search, and if I get anything, I get one match. Should be easy, right? Antoine was born in 1835 in Canada, France(?) Google that location! Antoine died November 18, 1900, and was buried in St.-Jean-Baptiste, Quebec. Antoine had two daughters: Elizabeth and Roseanna born in Gilbertville (Canada? US? It didn't say!) I got all this off of FamilySearch. Do you see the problem? The only thing holding these isolated facts together is Antoine's unusual name. Roseanna tends to get two hits. I can't tell whether it's one Roseanna I'm looking at or two. How can I be sure there's only one Antoine? Antoine, by the way, is my great-great grandfather, and Roseanna, my great grandmother, because she had a child, Roseanna Myers, born Aug. 1897 in Pittsfield, Massachusetts with my great grandfather, Joseph Myers, an Englishman born May 10, 1868 or 9 in Millom, Cumberland, UK, who came to the U.S. around 1885. Can you help me put the Canadian/New England story together? Once Joseph and Roseanna reach Philadelphia, PA, they leave a large, rather obvious footprint, but what happened beforehand up north is a bit vague. Thanks,  Josh

Offline Lynne EnZed

• RootsChat Senior
  • God Loves You!
    • View Profile
Re: Up For A Challenge?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Josh

The name seems to be more commonly spelled DESMARAIS - A-I not I-A.

Hope it helps.

Kind regards and God bless you,
Lynne

BELL (1) Blanchland (2) Halton, Wark NBL
BULLERWELL Worldwide
COULSON Gunnerton, Woodburn, Capheaton NBL
DALTON Ousby, Gt Salkeld, Penrith, Keswick CUL
GAIR Newburn NBL
KILGOUR Perth SCO, Nth Shields NBL
MOULD Washington DUR, Nth Shields NBL
MUSGROVE Newburn NBL
OLIVER Sth Shields DUR
ROBSON (1) Elsdon (2) Newburn NBL
ROGERSON Nth Middleton NBL
RUTTER (1) Newburn (2) Stamfordham NBL
SMITH Tweedmouth, Haydon NBL, Keswick CUL
STANLEY Keswick CUL
WHINHAM Otterburn NBL

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Joshua,

I'm getting several hits for Antoine Demarais in Quebec in the Drouin collection, different ones I'm pretty sure. There is one of interest to you as he is born 1835-1837.
This image won't size up for me & I can't read it. Would someone else be so kind as to read what it says.
I'll see what else I can find.

Went & looked again & it looks like his parents could be Antoine & Charlotte....its hard to read.

Cordially,
Lisa

Offline gracie23

• RootsChat Member
  • We Remember
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 14:19 BST (UK) »
There are several "Antoine Desmarais" born around that time in the Drouin collection in Canada.
I can tell you that the death info you have listed here may be incorrect. That record in 1900 St. Jean Baptiste shows that death is for a six month old young girl Antoinette, daughter of Antoine Desmarais and looks like Melanie Ann Bitiste.

I'll try and find some birth records for you for Elizabeth and Rosanna, but Lisa is correct, some of them are very hard to read. ::)

Would you happen to know the name of Antoine's wife?

Deb
KEARNEY/CARNEY: Ireland
QUINLAN: Ireland
CONLIN: Ireland
COYLE: Longford Ireland to Montreal, Canada
PRENDERGAST: Kerry, Ireland to Montreal, Canada
O'LEARY: Wexford Ireland to Montreal Canada
MURPHY: Wexford Ireland
DOYLE: Wexford, Ireland
BRENNAN: Wexford, Ireland
LEAHY: Ireland
NOLAN: Ireland to Boston, Massachusetts

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 14:33 BST (UK) »
Did Antoine have any more children or just the 2 girls?

Do you have an approximate birth date for either one of them?

Thanks,
Lisa

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
Karen:

did you find the birth record I was talking about & can you read it? My monitor shorted out on me & I'm using a 14" monitor now....reading anything that isn't very clear is a challenge!

Lisa

Offline Lynne EnZed

• RootsChat Senior
  • God Loves You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again

There is a *Rosene* DESMARAIS on the 1880 Census on familysearch in Hardwick, Worcester, Massachusetts (Gilbertville is also in Worcester County) aged 6 so born about 1874, which fits with *Rosane* MYER's records on later census records in Philadelphia, PA that said she was born about 1874/75 in Massachusetts.

*Rosene* is the daughter of *Anthony* and Lucy DESMARAIS.

Anthony was born in Canada about 1838 and Lucy about 1836, also in Canada.

They had 6 children, all born in Massachusetts (no Elizabeth) - Lucy 17, Ulali (girl) 15, Anthony 14, Deline 9, Rosene 6, and Joseph 4. Anthony and the three older children worked in a woollen mill.

I do not have a subscription to the census records but if someone else can look please in the later records there might be further information that could help, like when *Anthony* and Lucy immigrated to the US. Thanks.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards and God bless you,
Lynne
BELL (1) Blanchland (2) Halton, Wark NBL
BULLERWELL Worldwide
COULSON Gunnerton, Woodburn, Capheaton NBL
DALTON Ousby, Gt Salkeld, Penrith, Keswick CUL
GAIR Newburn NBL
KILGOUR Perth SCO, Nth Shields NBL
MOULD Washington DUR, Nth Shields NBL
MUSGROVE Newburn NBL
OLIVER Sth Shields DUR
ROBSON (1) Elsdon (2) Newburn NBL
ROGERSON Nth Middleton NBL
RUTTER (1) Newburn (2) Stamfordham NBL
SMITH Tweedmouth, Haydon NBL, Keswick CUL
STANLEY Keswick CUL
WHINHAM Otterburn NBL

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Is that your public tree on a major genealogy site? If not, there is one & it contains alot of info.

Lisa

Offline R. Joshua Myers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 17:41 BST (UK) »
Deb, The death I gave you is probably incorrect. It sounds like I found a copy error. All I know from oral family history is Aintoine's and Rosanna's names. The rest came out of search engines, and didn't add up. I am positive only about the birth of Roseanna Myers to Joseph Myers and Roseanna Desmarais, because it fits the oral history and everything I got off the search engine concerning their residence in Philadelphia, PA. Lisa, Elizabeth and all my birthdates came from the search engine. Oh, Lisa, I can't read a handwritten document with 400% zoom and a hand-held magnifying glass. It all looks as bad as if I wrote it! Lynne, I think you have the family in that 1880 Census. We can trust the Philadelphia records, and Anthony is how an American would write Antoine, or the name Antoine would take if he americanized his name to fit in. It also puts the family in the vicinity of Roseanna Myers' birth. I'm satisfied that that's them. You know how you get that feeling where it adds up or it doesn't add up? Well, it wasn't adding up for me, and now it does. Thank you so much for the help.  Josh