Author Topic: Craik  (Read 1584 times)

Offline kathgill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Craik
« on: Tuesday 24 May 11 09:28 BST (UK) »
This will probably be a long shot but I have been trying to trace my great uncle Adam Craik.  He was born in 1907 at Caerlaverock, Dumfriesshire Scotland and he went to Africa in 1946.  He sailed from London to the Cape.  From information that I have been told he eventually went to Bulawayo and had a contracting business.  Not sure if this is correct.  He married a widow again been told that her name was Catherine Smith and they had a daughter Ann.  I can vaguely recall that Adam and his wife did come back to Scotland for a short holiday around 1960.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Kathleen

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Craik
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi found this on ancestorsonboard website.

CRAIK Adam R born 1908 Male departed 1946 London for South Africa Cape.No record on NAAIRS for him but found 89 other records for Craik.Was he on his own when he sailed to Africa?A bit more info will make it easier to search some more.Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline kathgill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I know he was on his own, unfortunately no one in the family have any information.  That will be the same Adam Craik because his middle name was Robison.  I was on another web site a few days ago and found an Adam R Craik arriving on a Liverpool shipping list in 1960, that maybe was about the time that they came over to Scotland for a holiday.  There was also a Catherine Craik but I can't find it now.  Maybe if my husband wasn't so keen to clear the history I would have been able to find it.

Thanks again, if I come up with anything I will get back in touch

Kathleen

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen found these on the NAAIRS website.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Maybe Alan and Charles were his brothers and after they died he returned to the UK.KAB means the records are held in Cape Town.

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline kathgill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Have done a little more research and have found that he had a daughter Catherine and she was born 1949.  On a passenger 1950 list I found he came to Scotland with his wife Catherine F Craik and daughter Catherine A Craik.  They have Adam's occupation as Contractor and they lived in southern Rhodesia.  His wife was 32 so her birth year must have been 1917/1918.

Kathleen

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen try looking on this site Rhodesian Death Registers 1890-1977 on familysearch website.If you look at the first notice on this board by Mancsman it shows you how to use the records for Rhodesia (Zimbabwe).

Cheers Derek