Author Topic: British subject born in France 1822  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
British subject born in France 1822
« on: Tuesday 24 May 11 13:01 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Thomas Wilmot Easthope (b approx 1822) is shown in the 1851 census to have been born in Normandy France as a British subject.  In 1851 he was living in Cheltenham with his wife Eliza Homer.

I have no information about his parents, his early life, or how he happened to be born in France.

I'd appreciate any suggestions about how I can find some more information.
Bayley family of Westmorland (Casterton/Kirkby Lonsdale) and Lancashire (Barton, Birkdale) during the period 1750 - 1911.
Willan family of Westmorland and Lancashire.
Easthope family - mostly Gloucestershire/London
Jeffords

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British subject born in France 1822
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
http://www.familyhistorysa.info/births-marriages-deaths/marriages.html
 - I see that he married Eliza in SA in 1840, which complicates things.

In 1861 it looks like (RG9/83 104/35) he's 50 (still b. Normandy) so we may want to be more flexible with ages.

There is a newspaper record on May 08 1828 recording the death, at sea aboard the ship Robarts, Frank Wilmot Easthope, aged 19, son of Captain Easthope of Norwood House, Cheltenham.

This boy is christened in London in 1809 (familysearch.org), son of Thomas Easthope and Sarah Elizabeth.
Thomas Easthope m. Sarah Elizabeth Willmott in 1807.
There is a newspaper record of the death of a Sarah Elizabeth Easthope in London in 1860, mother of Mr T. W. Easthope of the Boston Arms, Boston-street, Dorset-Square, NW.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/21109/pages/1840
 - Thomas Wilmot Easthope also had links to Cheltenham.  The address of "Campden Terrace, Cheltenham" also fits with the 1841 census address of a Thomas (aged 60, "independent") and Sarah (aged 60) of Camden Terrace, Cheltenham.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ does show a will for Thomas Easthope of Cheltenham in 1843 - might give some solid confirmation that he did have a son Thomas Wilmot Easthope.

It might be tricky to find a birth/baptism record for him in France. If they were only there for a brief period (e.g. in port, maybe somewhere like Le Havre or Cherbourg) they might have only baptised him on return to England.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
jorose

Thank you SO MUCH.  This information, and the mysteries it throws up, have kept me going all day today.  That familyhistorysa site is fantastic.

I haven't solved the French connection, but I have found lots of other family info.  For example, from the Gazette, I've found that Thomas Wilmot snr had some serious debt problems that may have carried through to his descendants.

There certainly seem to be two Thomas Wilmot Easthopes:

Father: b 1781 d 1843 married to Sarah Elizabeth Wilmot (1780 – 1860)
Son: b 1822 d 1862 married to Eliza Homer (1822 – 1882)

The information about the death at sea also indicates Thomas snr is a sailor which could account for why his son was born in France.  It would also account for why he moved around so much.

Thank you again, so much, for offering so much information.  I cant believe you were able to find so much.

Kind regards

The bankruptcy notice suggests Thomas snr lived in Melbourne, Australia, so that's another avenue to pursue.
Bayley family of Westmorland (Casterton/Kirkby Lonsdale) and Lancashire (Barton, Birkdale) during the period 1750 - 1911.
Jeffords

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
The father 1781-1842 (will was proved in 1843 but I see his death as "Easthorpe" in Dec quarter 1842) and it's as Easthope here (http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/SimpleSearch.aspx) was just plain Thomas.
(There does seem to be another Thomas Wilmot Easthope b. 1865 - probably a grandson)

The man with the financial problems was Thomas who married Eliza Homer I think - he was the first one with "Wilmot" (his mother's surname) as a middle name. He seems to have moved in 1839 and then come back after his father's death - possibly to claim his inheritance. The list of addresses suggests that he was in Australia, came back to his parents' (mother's, if he came back after his father's death), then moved around a fair bit - perhaps busy spending his inheritance!

I think the 1861 census where he is aged 50 is probably closer to his true age than what he shows in 1851 - given his mother's age and the fact that there only seem to be two children to be found to Thomas and Sarah - Francis Wilmot b. 1809 and then his younger brother Thomas.  If Thomas really was b. 1822 then there's a big gap there to be filled in with potential siblings.  The will from 1843 might help there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I did get a bit confused.
Jeffords

Offline ClayHolley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 October 16 22:35 BST (UK) »
I recently purchased a box of some old legal papers at an estate sale in the United States. I have what I believe is an original Probate of the Will for Sarah Elizabeth Easthope who died on Feb 25, 1860. I think it is original because it is on vellum paper and has legal seals attached. It measures about 27x20 inches. I can try to send a photo or scan of it if you would like. Ultimately, I would like to get it to someone who would really appreciate it.

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 October 16 00:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for making contact, and for your generous offer.

I've had a very quick look at my Easthope tree on Ancestry, and while I can't immediately place your Sarah Elizabeth Easthope, I'm sure she must be a relative. 

A quick search found the listing in the National Will and Probate Calendar (link below), and while it gives her address at the time of her death, there's no information about her next of kin, beneficiaries etc.

I'd be very interested in a photo if you don't mind, or in any additional information the document might contain.

Thanks again for your generous gesture in making contact.

Regards
Fleur

http://interactive.ancestry.com.au/1904/32858_625988_3291-00010?pid=17574094&backurl=//search.Ancestry.com.au//cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DMTV797%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26db%3Dukprobatecal%26gss%3Dangs-d%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26msT%3D1%26gsfn%3Dsarah%2520elizabeth%26gsfn_x%3D0%26gsln%3Deasthope%26gsln_x%3D0%26MSAV%3D1%26msddy%3D1860%26msddy_x%3D1%26_83004003-n_xcl%3Dm%26cp%3D0%26catbucket%3Drstp%26uidh%3Dbr7%26pcat%3D36%26fh%3D0%26h%3D17574094%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos%3D1&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=MTV797&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true#?imageId=32858_625988_3291-00010
Jeffords

Offline Westby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 October 16 00:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I've just found her. I didn't look very thoroughly before I replied to your original message!

She was/is my 4th great grandmother, born Sarah Elizabeth Wilmot, mother of the man who was born in Normandy and the one who died at sea - the subjects of my original query on this site. 

Thanks so much for following this through.  I'd be very interested in having a look at your document.

Kind regards
Fleur
Jeffords

Offline ClayHolley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 16 01:43 BST (UK) »
I took some photos but the size is too large for the website. They are about 2000KB each but the site only allows 500KB max. I don't have a scanner. The will itself is hard for me to read. The writing is very clear but I don't understand the writer's cursive style. Here is some information from an attached legal letter which is easier to read: "...died on the 25th day of February 1860, at No. 8 Upper Glouchester Place Dorset Square Regent's Park Middlesex, and who at the time of her death had a fixed place of abode at Chettenham..."

I will think about how to get you some of the pictures. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Best Regards,
Clay