Author Topic: Jacks family-Boatmen  (Read 1191 times)

Offline DellaR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jacks family-Boatmen
« on: Tuesday 24 May 11 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I have been looking for some time now for further information on the Jacks (later Jacques) family who came from Shropshire. I have my GT X4 Grandmother Ann Jacks on the 1841 census in St Marys Shropshire with my Gt x3 Grandfather George (born approx 1816 in Wem ) and some other Jacks relatives (inc William and John who I believe may be Georges older brothers). All three men are Boatmen and I know George continued this job for some time as I have been able to locate him in Chester/Nantwich on futher census records.  I have however , been unable to locate any information at all on Ann's husband William Jacks.His name appears on Georges wedding certificate to Elizabeth Price in Chester 1843 and as it does not say deceased I am guessing he was still alive at that point in time. I believe he was born in Shropshire and may have been a boatman himself. Due to being unable to find a birth certificate for George or a wedding certificate for William and Ann , i have been unable to proceed any further with this line of the family . Any ideas where i go from here? Any advice would be welcome . Swirly.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Jacks family-Boatmen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm afraid that just because it doesn't say deceased it doesn't necessarily mean that he was still alive. I believe that it really depended what the vicar asked and was told. So if he just asked for the name of the father and didn't go on to ask if he was still alive, the word deceased may not have been added. I have several where I know for certain that the father had died but it wasn't on the certificate.

Also as the birth and marriages were pre 1837 there will not be a certificate as such, you will need to search parish records for a baptism and the wedding.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk