Author Topic: East Middle Cavers Kirktown Scott Blyth Muir  (Read 8193 times)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: East Middle Cavers Kirktown Scott Blyth Muir
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 May 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Yes the IGI is great but you do need to look at the originals and you would get the whole page for your money. Looks like the minister put the whole family down as a oner.  This does often happen in the parish records but you are lucky that the Burgher Congregation Records are shown in the parish records as this would just be up to that particular minister wanting to include them.

Good news, keep at it!!
Barbara

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 October 11 01:23 BST (UK) »
I am back. 

Barbara and Monica, you were both such an incredible help to me.    If either of you can help again or perhaps someone entirely new, it would be great.

Are you able to access death records Cavers?  Perhaps even a cemetery?   The last time we chatted so much just fell into place.

My family has letters written from Scotland in the early and mid 1800's.   generally, my research supports what is at hand.  I do have one missing piece still

Agnes (Nancy) born Wilton Roxburgshire in 1777, married Kirkton 1801 (as Nancy) is supposed to have two parents names Thomas Blythe and Miss Muir.  I have her parents as Thomas Blythe and Isabel Reid.

Could Thomas have remarried a Miss Muir.  Could a Miss Muir actually be a widow?   I am wondering if there might be a death record for Thomas Blythe that would name one or more wives.   I believe Thomas Blythe was born 1775 and Isabel Reid 1739.    Three children died young and could be on the same tombstone.   

John born 1762 and died by age 10  death between 1762 and 1772 likely after 1766
Andrew born 1766 and died by age 16 death between 1766 and 1782 likely after 1775
Thomas born 1769 and died by age 6 death between 1769 and 1775

My guesses are based on the baptism of the next son with the same name.

If I could just find a Blythe/Muir marriage I could tie everything up!     If Miss Muir was the second marriage it would have to be after 1782.

If you can help, that would be wonderful!

Thanks,

Jan

PS Barbara and Monica, will this come up as a new post or should I re-post as a new query?

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 October 11 07:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

The deaths from the Parish records are now on Scotlandspeople but a man named Nigel Hardie is also transcribing them and I can look on Thursday to see if he has done Cavers, I think he has. However the deaths don't give a lot of info, sometimes just record of a mortcloth bought or a "John Scott buried" and the date sort of thing.  But will have a look when at the Archives on Thursday. We also have the MIs so can look there too.And also for a marriage or remarriage.  Glad we helped you last time.

regards

Barbara

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 October 11 12:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barb,

Scotlandspeople is great for births and marriages but I find few deaths before 1855 at which tine a lot of detail was printed out.
I re-read the many notes shared last spring.  When i talk to anyone about my family tree I recount the chat with you and Monica because it was very exciting.   A lot of work but so rewarding!

I have had some good luck with people checking Mi's for me. 

Thanks,

:) Jan