Author Topic: East Middle Cavers Kirktown Scott Blyth Muir  (Read 8194 times)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: East Middle Cavers Kirktown Scott Blyth Muir
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 May 11 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Be very careful with the IGI when it says abt as this is usually submitted by somebody rather than extracted from the parish records. Does the batch number start with a C?  I will find East Middle and send you a link on a map.

Otherwise Ancrum, Cavers and Kirkton and Wilton are all pretty close to each other.  It is hard to prove which is yours when you are pre registration. Sometimes you have to find out what happend to the others and count them out.

Barbara

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 May 11 21:55 BST (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch/view/?sid=74979317

There you go Jan, hope this works for you, you can see east middle on the map.  But play about with the size and you can hpefully pick up exactly where it is.

Barbara

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 May 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Barbara.  I also found another map ........Google.  because I have now that Nancy was Agnes I made changes in my tree and got a 'leaf' on ancestry.  I found a family with Agnes married to john Scott along with several children, one of whom, Betty, was born the exact day my ancestor Elizabeth was born so I now have the family.   I verified birthdates on scotlandspeople and of course birth and baptism get confused.  According to the records, the family live at Denholm which I see is only a few km form Cavers, Kirkton, East Middle and Wilton.  Suddenly  Ancrum seems far away!
I am beginning to think that the woman Muir does not exist.  If Agnes AKA Nancy was born in Wilton her mother's name would have been Isabel which makes sense with her first child, I now know, being named Isabel.
Baptism records show two witnesses who live in East Middle.  I will try to prove they ar ebrothers to Agnes (Nancy).
I will see what I can find out to eliminate the Ancrum Agnes.
Thanks for all you help.
Monica, the name help gave me the tiny tip i needed to change my research and I now have the siblings of my 2x great grandmother, daughter of Nancy!

Jan  :) :) :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 May 11 14:23 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you are having fun with all the twists and turns  :) It's great when the research gathers pace!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 28 May 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
Yes you have your thinking cap on now, Jan.  Good luck with it all and just ask if you need anything else.

Barbara

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 May 11 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks!  I think proving exactly who Agnes (Nancy) is will be very difficult.  I did find that the husband of her daughter, my 2x great grandmother, was a witness at an Ontario Canada wedding in 1842 for Agnes(Nancy)'s son!  It is good to keep getting confirmation on that group of siblings!

You 2 got me there!

I have 3000 in the tree I am currently working on so think I will give Agnes a rest for a while and start fresh later.  I have lots to do.

I will ask again if I need help!  Maybe another branch!!!

THANKS HEAPS!

Jan :) :) :)

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 May 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, Barbara and Monica,

Who would ever have thought a parish map and an understanding of names would reveal so much!!
I was going to give this branch a rest but just couldn’t ‘till I tried looking once more It seems there is a Wilton village right on the borders of Cavers parish …. I think …….. I hope ……because that would clinch it!

I have Betty (Elizabeth Betsy) Scott born 1803 at Dunholmhill, Cavers and baptised at Burgher Congregation Hawick.

Her parents are John Scott and Agnes (Nancy) Blyth(e).  John and Nancy were married 1801 in Kirktown.  John is from Cavers and Nancy is from East Middle.  At Betty’s baptism are Thomas and John Blyth from East Middle.    I looked to find them as brothers and succeeded.

I had found Agnes Blyth twice and because I looked for mother Muir had eliminated one.  I have never found a Muir anywhere.  Forgetting about Muir, I believe I have support for Agnes being baptised Wilton rather than Ancrum.

Agnes Blythe baptised 1777 in Wilton was born at Clarilaw.

Her parents would seem to be Thomas Blyth and Isabel Reid who were married Wilton 1761.  Of 7 surviving children three are: Agnes and then Thomas and John who appear to have been witnesses at niece’s baptism at Burgher Congregation, Hawick.

So……….. Cavers Parish along with Clarilaw, Denholmhill, East Middle  and Kirktown (Kirkton), Hawick would seem to support Wilton versus Ancrum for Agnes (Nancy)!

Does this look right?

Sorry to be such a bother but this is really exciting!!

Thanks,  :)

Jan (searching from across the ocean!)

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 May 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
Can't fault it Jan and where did you find the Burgher baptism?  Yes it is a good idea to roughly know the layout of the county you are researching then their movements make sense and it is good for your geography!

Barbara

Offline janeli_1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 May 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I went on to scotlandspeople.  I generally don't spend 5 credits without lots of IGI research as it can get too easy to keep checking out records and rack up the $$$.   I got lucky on Betty Scott as I hit 5 credits once and got one sheet with 4 records ......... looks like recopied or something.  The records start with first, second, third and fifth lawful child of ...........  The first one lists Thomas and John Blyth, tenants at East Middle as witnesses to baptism.  They all list father as tenant at Dunholm hill.  The last three state baptism took place "before the Burgher Congregation Hawick".  The final one, Thomas, has a tiny notation below it "second of the name" so I know child number 4 was Thomas and that he died before the next Thomas was born!
As you obviously already know, the parish and the year and the minister determine the detail.  This one was a bonus!
Jan
 :) :)