Author Topic: Tracing my Holdsworth family beyond 1800! Can someone please help?  (Read 23009 times)

Offline veryoldgal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing my Holdsworth family beyond 1800! Can someone please help?
« Reply #36 on: Friday 30 January 15 04:47 GMT (UK) »
My Hannah Holdsworth was born 13 June 1827, Eccleshill, Christened 15 July 1828 St. Wilfred's Church Calverley.  Her father was Thomas Holdsworth, occupation wheelwright.  Hannah Holdsworth married John Littlewood 12 July 1847 St. Wilfred's, Calverley.

I have far too many Holdsworths to mention.

I have another Hannah Holdsworth born 12 November 1809, Christened 10 December 1809 St Wilfred's, Calverley - Father William Holdsworth [no other information about her].

And another Hannah Holdsworth Christened 7 April 1745 St. Wilfred's Calverley Father Robert Holdsworth [no other information about her or her Father]

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 30 January 15 04:56 GMT (UK) »
  Thanks Lesley.   Unfortunately none of them are a match except for my birthday -13th June !

I had the same problem with so many Hutton's in Eccleshill, Baildon, Idle, Shipley and the surrounding area.    I somehow managed to split them up into their different families and that helped a lot.    Regards Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 30 January 15 06:26 GMT (UK) »
(And another Hannah Holdsworth Christened 7 April 1745 St. Wilfred's Calverley Father Robert Holdsworth [no other information about her or her Father])
Unable to trace the above record in the database!
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline veryoldgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 30 January 15 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian,

Yes, I have to admit that this Hannah was an "iffy" one.  The information was provided to me by another researcher and I have not been able to prove that it is correct or not.  The informant told me that this Hannah Holdsworth was the same Hannah who married William Marshall 18 May 1774 Calverley.  As I said before, I have kept the record and have tried over the years to prove or disprove the connection for a number of years with no success.  I also believe that another individual has made the same conclusion without any proof and has added it to a tree on the familysearch website.  I do not like to discard any of my hints or clues in case they can be proved at a later date.

I haven't done any further research on this particular clue for years and you have spurred me on to have another look at her.

Offline veryoldgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 30 January 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Here she is:  source freereg

Hannah Holdsworth baptized 7 April 1745 St. Peter, Bradford Father Robert Holdsworth Junior of Eccleshill.

That is why she isn't in the Calverley records.  I will have a look at the Calverley site and see if I can see Robert and Hannah in any of the Census Records there.

Offline veryoldgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 30 January 15 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I think that it must be way way past my bed time - of course they will not be in any of the census records for Calverley.  They would have been dead by then.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 30 January 15 19:35 GMT (UK) »
  The informant told me that this Hannah Holdsworth was the same Hannah who married William Marshall 18 May 1774 Calverley. 

This is the first connection I've seen linking either Holdsworth or Hutton to a Marshall.   As already mentioned a Hannah Holdsworth was a witness to the marriage of my gt.gt.gt.grandfather William Hutton to Mary Barron in 1807.   That marriage was made possible by a bond of 200 pounds guaranteed by a Sarah Marshall.    I wonder now if she was the daughter of the above William and Hannah?

Years ago I searched for all the Sarah's who (if not married) might have been the Sarah Marshall who put up the bond.    I see now that the last one on the list is a possible.

SARAH MARSHALL

Who was Sarah Marshall, Spinster,  who guaranteed a bond of £200 for William Hutton’s marriage to Mary Barron in 1807?

List of Sarah Marshall’s born in or close to Bradford in a period that would make her anything from 27 to 75 years of age.

Baptised                 At                            Father                               Age in 1807
1.      8. 4.1732            Baildon                       Wm.                                              75
2.    28. 3.1742            Guiseley                      Thomas                                         65
3.    23. 2.1743            Baildon                        Samuel                                         64
4.    18. 5.1747            Mirfield                       James                                            60
6.      2. 9.1753            Otley                            John                                              54
7.      5. 4.1757            Mirfield                       William                                         50
8.     2.10.1763            Baildon                        John                                              44
9.      4. 3.1770            Birstall                         Joseph                                           37
10.  21. 4.1771            Adel                             Abraham                                       36
11.  28. 5.1772            Mirfield                        John                                              35   
12.  11. 8.1773            Keighley                       John and Mother Anne                34
13.  10. 3.1776            Calverley                      Samuel                                         31
14.    6. 4.1777            Bradford                       Joseph                                          30
15.    4. 5.1777            Baildon                        Henry                                            30
16.  11. 1.1778            Guiseley                       Isaac and  Mother Mary               29
17.    6. 2.1780            Bradford                      Robert                                           27
18.  13. 2.1780            Bradford                      William                                         27
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline holds21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 21 August 17 14:50 BST (UK) »
Wow. I see this thread was started in 2011 so me replying now in 2017 is a bit of a long shot, but here we go. This is SO interesting. I just started seriously tracing back my lineage as well (use ancestry.ca). This Charles Holdsworth you're speaking of, born 1801 died 1842, was my 5th-great-grandfather. His son, Charles, was my 4th-great-grandfather. So we must be related somehow!! Distant cousins at least!  ;D

Like you, the Holdsworth side of my family is the side that I know the least about. Although I've been finding out so much more than I ever would've known had I not given ancestry a try. As I can see, you were searching this information out 6 years ago, so by any chance have you been successful and figured out who Charles' parents are?? I can't find anything on them either! Nothing on ancestry, no censuses, etc, list anything to do with who his parents might be. I guess this might be the end of my Holdsworth search. But at least I was able to decipher that I have strong roots in Bradford, Yorkshire. My family now lives in Ontario, Canada!  :)

Offline veryoldgal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 21 August 17 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I haven't checked my Holdsworths in years.  I know that I don't have a Charles Holdsworth born 1801, but I do have a copy of the Census Record for 1841 Charles Holdsworth living in Idle.
These are the details:  I hope that it helps.

1841 Township of Idle, Address is Simpson Green page 7 ED 35
Charles Holdsworth age 40 occupation farmer
William " (son) age 20 occupation wool comber
Thomas " (son) age 20 occupation wool comber
Mary " (dau) age 18
Ann " (dau) age 16
Maria " (dau) age 10
Charles " (son) age 6
Harriett " (dau) age 5
Susanna "(dau) age 3
Jonas Holdsworth age 45 ocupation cart driver

I am happy to do some further checking if you like, just ask.