Author Topic: nicholas connelly and son john connelly  (Read 3301 times)

Offline ballymacnab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
nicholas connelly and son john connelly
« on: Wednesday 25 May 11 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
        My gt grandfather left ireland in the early 1800s and settled somewhere in roxburghshire.they were called farmers? .i am of the view on the scant information i have is that they may have lived in loughinisland county down.Nicholas wife i presume died as she never came to scotland with him they later left roxburghshire and went on to edinburgh and glasgow. the only tangible factual information i have is the father and son name connection of (nicholas and john  connelly) where else could i look wherby i can use this name connection  ?  i do know that nicholas went on to marry a roxburghshire girl called georgina mac kenzie .any thoughts on where i could go from here would be truly appreciated.  regards Hartley James Connelly.

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: nicholas connelly and son john connelly
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 11 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi James,

Have you looked on Scotlandspeople.gov.uk for them to see where Nicholas and Georgina had any children. I am at Borders Family History archives today and will have a quick look for you in the Roxburgh parish and census records.

Barbara

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 11 19:30 BST (UK) »
Nothing showing under Connelly and no marriage either in Church of Scotland or Catholic records for Connelly and MacKenizie.  sorry.  Doesn't look like they were in Roxburghshire or if they were there were no children or marriages

Barbara

Offline ballymacnab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 11 12:43 BST (UK) »
 Hi Barbara
                   Thankyou so much for your response it is i assure you truly appreciated.However i have a very limited knowledge on my gt grandfather nicholas connelly.Nicholas had a son by the name of john connelly and he died in marlow st glasgow which is stated in the 1881 census aged 64 years of age and he was married to a georgina mac kenzie who was the informant,Where the roxburghshire connection comes in is that johns father was a NICHOLAS CONNELLY described as a farmer from roxburghshire and nicholas was marr ied  to a woman by the name of BRIDGET CAIRNS whom i presume he married in roxburgh shire is this a roxburghshire name.Nicholas when he left ireland settled in roxburghshire but i dont think he was there for long and he also brought his son over with him . I  presume his wife must have died at an early age in ireland so we are talking about a period 1820s.I am truly perplexed where i can go from here and any further light would i assure you be truly appreciated.would the name kelso be of any relevance .  Kind Regards Hartley James Connelly.

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 11 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think we need to work from John and Georgina backwards.  I see Georgina was born in Kelso according to the 1881 but can't find her and John in any other census.  When did John die? And do you have them in any other census?  Also do you know when Georgina died?

Barbara

Offline ballymacnab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 June 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi barbara
                 what a great piece of advice from you for which i thank you.In response to the points raised i have managed to establish this about .on the 28th/12/1907 aged 25 years. johns son whos name was samuel connelly was admitted to the govan poorhouse.in 1906 both georgina and his father john connelly were both dead.georgina connelly maiden name mac kenzie had a father whom i understand was a soldier and his name was george mackenzie, hence i assume the daughter being called georgina.it would appear that john died and georgina went on to marry a donald simpson.i have georginas death certificate and she died in inverness aged 56 in 1906 so from that i deduce georgina was born in 1850.in 1889 on the 8th  of november at saint margarets church john connellys so william connelly aged 23 in kinning park glasgow married a catherine flannagan aged 19.with regard to john connelly leaving ireland around 1820 as a young man with his father nicholas they settled  initially in roxburghshire and this is where i think he met georgina.his father nicholas met a bridget cairns in roxburghshire and married her however i do not think they lived long.any idea where i go from here would be much appreciated ,  regards ballymacnab