Author Topic: Glen(dinning)/Grant/Johnstone  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Glen(dinning)/Grant/Johnstone
« on: Wednesday 25 May 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
I have John Glen b c1830 although named Glendinning on his daughters wedding certificate and his marriage to Ann Johnstone 31 Dec 1862 in Corbiehall, Bo'ness, Linlithgow, West Lothian. Ann was a widow when she married John but had a family with her first husband (name unknown) as she was married to John by her maiden name Johnston after the children's birthdates although they seemed to take on the name Glen.

3 children (known) from 1871 census Corbiehall, Bo'ness, Linlithgow, were:
James b c1854 - Bo'ness, Linlithgow, West Lothian
Helen b c 1855 -       "
Archibald b c 1858 -  "
Robert Reid (cousin-in-law) b c 1866 - Shotts, Lanark. I have his birth cert & parents are Robert Reid & Marion Tutton and hope someone knows the connection with Glen/Johnston.

I have been unable to trace the family prior to 1871 although I did find a family 1861 census - Corbiehall, Bo'ness, Linlithgow, West Lothian named Grant which may have been an error as the 3 named above were in the same order of birth and dates corresponding. There were other children named too with parents names John & Ann which is a bit of a coincidence if this is not the correct family.

1861 - Corbiehall, Bo'ness, Linlithgow & all born Bo'ness.
John Grant 40, Ann Grant 42, Chas Grant 20, George Grant 18, John Grant 12,
James Grant 10, Helen Grant 8, Archibald Grant 6, Elizabeth Grant 1.

I have been unable to find births for either of the above under the name Grant, Glen or Johnston and wonder if anyone knows who Ann Johnston was married to before she married John Glendinning as I have hit a brick wall.

Regards,

Anne.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Glen(dinning)/Grant/Johnstone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
On familysearch an Ann Johnstone married Charles Grant 1831, Boness. It is a submitted record but you will also find a marriage/bann for the same year on scotlandspeple. Hopefully this will solve your problem.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness