Author Topic: Michael McGarry from Co. Roscommon, born 1877  (Read 18625 times)

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael McGarry from Co. Roscommon, born 1877
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 August 11 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.

I haven't been able to locate anyone on the civil registration index that matches up.

This is the only one I'm seeing for Claremorris that died in roughly the right time period, but my Michael was born in 1877 [or possibly 73] so this can't be right:  https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/MFXP-HMW/p1

I don't really have any idea when he died, apart from his last son being born in 1916, so he had to have been around then, and he died before his wife, she died 1945.

As he is buried in Claremorris, I would have assumed he died there where his wife and kids were.

So I'm looking at a window of 1916 to 1945.

I'm still planning a trip around whichever Ballinagare/gard it is when I get some more information together.
Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 August 11 09:24 BST (UK) »
Familysearch.org is a great site but there are one or two duplications and typos
if you ordered the genuine certificate it could prove useful

also asking the obvious here are there records for the cemetery?

I will follow up with my contact when i can but unable to at present for more information
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 August 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
Perhaps I should just go ahead and order that cert then, maybe the birth year has been entered incorrectly.

There are other McGarrys in Claremorris [not related] so it is possible this is one of them, but might be as well to order that cert and see. At least I can rule it out then.

I enquired at the Church a long time ago and was told there are no records for the graveyard other than a transcription list of the graves done by a FAS scheme in recent years, and as we do not have any dates on the grave, this is no use unfortunately.

And thank you!
Researching: Herward / Hereward / Howard (Mayo, Galway, Scotland, England)   |   McGarry (Mayo, Roscommon)   |  Gordon (Mayo, Galway)   |  Martyn / Martin (Mayo, Galway)   |   O'Connor (Mayo)   |   O'Halloran (Clare, Mayo, Limerick)   |   Jennings (Mayo)   |   Meenehan (Mayo)

Offline VH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 August 11 22:11 BST (UK) »
From the research done so far it looks like Michael McGarry born 1873 in Ballingard is your Michael.  Have downloaded the info.  Born 24 Sept. 1873 to parents Patrick McGarry and Margaret Kearns.  Address given as Ballinagard, Roscommon parish.

As 'MyLuck' has pointed out, ages given in census do not always tally with year of birth.  Trust me, I have found this out lots of times in my own families research and others.  The link to the name Timothy is also a very good clue.

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 September 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
VH, thank you very much for the info. I am happy to go with that Michael. 

Just to update, I ordered the cert for the only Michael McGarry that died in Claremorris during the right time period, and it's not my Michael.

This is the cert I ordered: https://www.familysearch.org/search/recordDetails/show?uri=https://api.familysearch.org/records/pal:/MM9.1.r/MFXP-HMW/p1

I'm a bit lost as to what my next step should be. I am now wondering if Michael died somewhere other than Claremorris.

Offline murchu54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi ROC,
The Michael you are talking about sounds very familiar- pretty sure he is my great grand uncle. His brother Timothy (1880) is my great grandfather. There are many family members still living in the Ballinagard area.  My uncle, who is living in London, has told us a story about how his grandfather Timothy went to work on the railway as a young man and how his brother went with him. His brother stayed on and became station master in Claremoris. He will email on any further details he can find on Michael and his family. Unfortunately we don’t know any dates to do with Michael’s death but if it is the same family line we have loads of info about Timothy and his family. 
Good luck.

Offline ROC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there! This is a very exciting development for me. I would be delighted to hear of any information you may have and I can supply you with some further details by private message. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this thread!