Author Topic: (Mac)Clean /Smith  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Yorkyboyl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(Mac)Clean /Smith
« on: Thursday 26 May 11 15:59 BST (UK) »
Ihope someone out there can assist me with my first venture into Rootschatting... I am looking for anything on Charles Maclean who married Mary Smith in Norton near Malton, 1798. Charles' father was called Thomas, and Charles was christened Jan/1770 in Hovingham, Yorks, although the name seems to have been transcribed as 'Clean' without the Mac. The children of Charles and Mary lived and settled in the Malton/Rillington/Scampston area for several generations before moving to Leeds. Charles and Mary both lived to quite an old age and prior to their deaths were living in Stock's Yard, Norton.
 Anything on Charles' ancestors or anything at all on Mary would be very much welcome, Thanks. 

Offline Billington63

• RootsChat Member
  • A sting in the 'tale'
    • View Profile
Re: (Mac)Clean /Smith
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Yorky
I don't know if this will help you at all.
I found a death Mary MacClean ( 2 C's) born abt abt 1769, death registered in  March qtr, 1867 Pickering, North Yorks.
You maybe found that before but just in case, this is why it might not help.
I traced her to Norton in 1841 -her name listed as CLEAN  living at CLARKES Yard, she was born 1770 in Bulmer, Yorkshire. Unfortunately her husband is called William and born 1770 in Ness, Yorks. I don't know what or where is Ness but Bulmer is 10 miles from Hovingham.
in 1851 Mary and William become MacClean, still live at Clarkes Yard but the district is now defined as Rillington. In 1861 Mary is widowed and still at Clarkes Yard aged - though the enumerator has now decided her name is McClean.

I think its worth mentioning just in case Charles was known as 'William' or had a middle name ? If not perhaps they are relatives that you can follow.

Maybe not so helpful

Dan
Caukill Goole, East Yorkshire      
Franklin Neuvas, Asturias, Spain
Kaiser - Bulow  Prussia /Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany    
Heald, Kennerley Newton, Manchester, United Kingdom
Simpson, Thompson, Hoyland, Beeston Osbaldkirk, York, Yorkshire     
Crow and Cropley - Bicker, Qaudring Lincolnshire
Gill and Brown - Hull, Yorkshire
McEvoy Dewsbury,     
Timothy Co. Roscommon, Aughrim   Ireland   
Rainey (Reiney) Milltown, Co Kerry Ireland