Author Topic: info on g,g, gran mother margaret reynolds  (Read 1842 times)

Offline glenalina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
info on g,g, gran mother margaret reynolds
« on: Thursday 26 May 11 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi folks iam looking for info on my g,g, gran mother margaret reynolds who was a presbyterian and who married my g,g, gran father thomas kane from derry around 1878/80 i believe that this happened in scotland they had 6 children 2 off them where born in scotland they are james born 1880...lizzie born 1883 the other children where born in ireland according to the census of 1901... iwould be very great full for any info.   jim

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: info on g,g, gran mother margaret reynolds
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 May 11 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

There is this possible 1881 census entry for them:

Thomas Kane 30, Sugarhouse Labourer b. Ireland
Margaret Kane 23 b. Edinburgh
James Kane 1, b. Motherwell Lanarkshire

Address: 31 Ingleston St, Greenock East, Renfrewshire

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
Jim, you need to be able to confirm details from the marriage cert regarding parents' names for Margaret and Thomas (not sure if you already have Thomas') but this is the only Margaret Reynolds showing on IGI born in the mid to late 1850s in Edinburgh (going by Margaret's age on the 1881 census):

Margaret REYNOLDS b. 15 March 1856 in Edinburgh
Parents: Andrew REYNOLDS and Rose GANNON    

The place to check for their marriage is on the official pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. I have had a quick look to see if anything shows but not yet seeing the marriage. Trying also with variants of Kane such as Cain(e) etc.

Monica

Offline glenalina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 May 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Monical  thanks for the reply but afew things dont add up. ie on my g,gran father marrage cert here in belfast it gives his mother and fathers names as i have posted but the ages dont add up on the 1901 census here my g,g, gran mother is aged @39 which would make her born around 1860 and my g,g, gran father aged@44 which would make him born around 1855....is there a problem with the ages on these forms as i have had problems with this before...jim

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 11 19:08 BST (UK) »
Birth years are moveable feasts, Jim! The only document that you can be certain of sometimes can be someone's birth cert and in some cases, people's ages (i.e. birth year) seem to vary document by document.

You really need to find the marriage cert to then be able to confirm parents' details for both Thomas and Margaret.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 May 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find this Reynolds family that show as having had a Margaret in 1856 in Edinburgh. I can see them I think in both 1861 and 1871, but no sign of a Margaret in the household. I wonder if she may have died young  :-\ There is a very likely death entry showing for her I think in 1857 in Edinburgh, showing as born 1856.

Mmmm...Can't easily see another Margaret b. Edinburgh as yet. Did Margaret show as born in Scotland on her 1901/11 census entries in Ireland?

Monica

Offline glenalina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 May 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Monical   on the 1901 census she was aged 39 and was a presbyterian her occupation was listed as smith helper and birth place listed as schotland and the 1911 census shows her as a widow as my g,g, gran father died around oct 1908 and i have a record from belfast city council burial records having a margaret kane death in sept 1936 aged 73 and last known address was in and around from where i believe my g,g, gran parents lived....so could the different ages have been mis-understood in so way...jim