Author Topic: How Do You Say Help!" In German?  (Read 7138 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Say Help!" In German?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 May 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
Perhaps he was shot in the head and survived?

see

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA429953

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline R. Joshua Myers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:16 BST (UK) »
Janan, I can't get your link to work. I think it's my computer refusing certain sites. Could you get shot in the head and survive? Josh

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 May 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
US City Directories - Philadelphia

1881  Hilbert Jonas, rags, Residence  Cathedral n N 52nd
1887  Hilbert Jonas, rags,  5135 Stiles
1889  Hilbert Jonas, rags,  5135 Stiles

Peonie

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 May 11 00:23 BST (UK) »
1890 Veterans Schedules

enlisted 1861                    (so he came to USA before that date)
discharged 1864

next to his name on the image  is written Hillberd. This is the spelling for his Civil War Pension Record.

Peonie

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 May 11 00:58 BST (UK) »

Hi Josh,

Just had a look at the family search site there are two records on it one for your Jonas Hilbert which is the 1880 census for the united states and then there is the 1860 census with a J Hilbert aged 18 born in 1842 in Hanover, there could be a chance its your Jonas Hilbert.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AJonas~%20%2Bsurname%3AHilbert~%20%2Bany_place%3AGermany~%20%2Bany_year%3A1842-1842

Regards
Lyne
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline R. Joshua Myers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 May 11 03:27 BST (UK) »
First, I want to apologize to rootschat. I started multiple threads on other boards. I thought you made a thread for every question, and some people were acting funny, but I didn't get it until a supervisor explained it to me. Each thread is about a person, not a question. I assume you come back to the same thread if you have a second question and ask it. If I do something wrong, tell me plainly. Janan, My Jonas Hilbert is not your civil war soldier. He arrived in the U.S. with his wife around 1864, when the Civil War was almost over. Peonie's got the man as a rag trader, and she's got his Philadelphia address, too. And Nettie has him, too. The first one on the list at FamilySearch is my Jonas Hilbert. I saw that before, because FamilySearch is free. I've been there. Maybe I'm wasting your time, because I cannot find an American record of where in Germany this Jonas comes from. All my sources say Germany, but I'll keep looking.  Josh

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 May 11 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Josh,

your date of 1864 could be wrong because the address for the Civil War Soldier is 5135 Stiles  - if this is an address of course.

Peonie

Offline R. Joshua Myers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Say "Help!" In German?
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 May 11 04:56 BST (UK) »
Peonie, You've won me over! Thank goodness for your persistence! I've never heard of Stiles Street in Philadelphia, but it could even be mispelled like Shawmont was. I assume 5135 Stiles is the rag shop, because I only saw it with mentions of the rag shop, until you pointed out the pension being sent there. He arrived at the port of Philadelphia in 1864 when he returned discharged, possibly wounded. That allows him to arrive from Germany earlier. 5135 Stiles is the link between the soldier and the rag trader, my grandmother's story, and the 1860 Ohio man, as well, who was born in Hanover, Germany. Is that regional enough to locate him in Germany? Josh

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 May 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Janan, I can't get your link to work. I think it's my computer refusing certain sites. Could you get shot in the head and survive? Josh

Hi Josh

The answer to your question appears to be yes, although survival rates were apparently lower than for civilian head injuiries at that time mainly because of infection. The link was to a pdf document of a masters thesis entitled "Appropriate treatment of head injuries by surgeons during the civil war", it is very long and detailed but the abtsract suggests that 35% of those with severe head injuries survived long enough to arrive at a major hospital - it doesn't say how many of those recovered. Those with less severe injuries would have had a higher chance of survival.

As for board etiquette it is fine keeping to the same thread as you are doing it keeps everything together and saves duplication of effort.  However if you wanted to ask for a specific look-up, say for a US census, you may want to start another thread on the appropriate board. You can always post a link to another of your  threads when you start a new one so people are aware of what info has already been found. Hope that makes sense :D

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge