Author Topic: George Brereton's marriage  (Read 2266 times)

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
George Brereton's marriage
« on: Friday 27 May 11 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looking for a marriage for George Brereton to a lady called Hannah.  The marriage i have found cant be the right one.

George Brereton was baptised in 1815.  His parents were married in 1814.

Only marriage i have found is George Brereton to Hannah Farrington in 1825, which would mean that George would of only been around 11yrs....hhummmm

In the census there are two George Breretons from Wybunbury, one in 1814 and one in 1817.

In the 1851 census i have Georges possible eldest son visiting or staying with his grandmother, his name was Edwin and transcribed as Edward.

In the 1841 Census i found a 9mth Edwin with a George and Hannah, though the only christening i found has his mothers name down as Anna.

Georges parents were Thomas Brereton and Ellen, they lived in Haslington, Cheshire.

If anyone can find another Hannah for my George that would be awesome and many thanks.

Rotosis
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
Re: George Brereton's marriage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 11 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

On familysearch there is an intended marriage of George Brereton and Hannah Walley 13 Jan 1840 from England, Cheshire, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1606-1900

George's est birth year 1815, Hannah's 1814.

In the 1841 census it looks like George and Hannah are staying with a James and Ann Whalley. James is a farmer.

evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 May 11 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

If this is your Hannah - a child's birth certificate would confirm her maiden name, then possible christening

From familysearch

Parents: James Walley, Ann

Christening date: 09 Jun 1813
Christening place: Acton (near Nantwich), Cheshire
Residence: , Acton (near Nantwich), Cheshire

evie
Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you looked at the Cheshire Parish Register Project?

On there, there is a baptism of George Brereton (Parents Thomas and Ellen) on 23 April 1815 - Parish Wybunbury, and a marriage of Thomas Brereton and Ellen Whitmore on 25 August 1814.

Hope this helps your research.

Alan

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 May 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
Firstly Evie...............thank you, i didnt think they they were living with family, the 1841 census was not that clear.  This marriage has been a sticking point for a few years.  I did note that hannah was born in Acton though like you show on the christening.

Tall Al.  yes thatis the right family, i have only confirmed george as their son today.  George was a family myth at one stage coz we could never fit him to a marriage that worked and we didnt think that he was baptised in another village.

I have looked at the Cheshire Registers before (i think) just not with George due to only confirming him today and never thought to look, i got his christening off Family Search.

Thanks you both very much for your time, got a huge smile on my face now   ;D

Rotosis
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
13th september 1840 christening of Edwin Brereton , Haslington ,Cheshire father George /mother Anna (Hannah )
I presume this is the christening you found..?....pretty sure that it has been transcribed as mother Anna and should have been Hannah.........
the Hannah Whalley that Evie has found looks very good to me ...married 13th january 1840 ...Edwin born september 1840....all fits...lol
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 11 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan

Yes it does look great, it is nice to solve one family mystery.  So that is now one extra son down and another daughter to do.  We already had all Thomas and Ellens kids, except the first 3 due to the different village they lived in.

If anyone is interested Elizabeth is the only other child i dont have on a marriage.  She was baptised on 2 Mar 1817.  The other duaghter died aged 7yrs, her name was Anne.

Thanks again for everyones help  ;D

Rotosis
Wifes side    

Husbands side

Offline HEWoody

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 21 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking at a family tree started by my father.
George Brereton (born 1815) married Hannah ? (born 1814). They were my great great grandparents.