Author Topic: Edward Lynch/Mary Gibson Co Cavan  (Read 9193 times)

Offline damo74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Lynch/Mary Gibson Co Cavan
« on: Friday 27 May 11 05:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for info on Edward Lynch. Married Mary Gibson (unsure of marriage date) and gave birth to Daniel Lynch 1830-1840. Daniel emigrated to Adelaide, Australia approx 1849. Daniel's Death certificate states he is from County Cavan. His marriage certificate states his parents were farmers. Their religion was Roman Catholic

I am sorry this is a little vague but it is all I have to work with at the moment.

Would love a marriage date for Edward and Mary and/or Daniel's Birth date but i understand these maybe impossible to come by.

Thanks

Cheers
Damian
Edward Lynch/Mary Gibson
Daniel Lynch

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Lynch/Mary Gibson Co Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 11 11:37 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ir/cav2/cavan.html
you might have to type this yourselve
on Daniel death certificate does it not mention a townland name?

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 May 11 11:53 BST (UK) »

Offline damo74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 May 11 12:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your quick response,.

Sorry but his death certificate only states that his place of birth was Co Cavan. He outlived his wife so am guessing that he never told his children where he was born.

PS Your first link gives an error when I click on it.

Cheers
Damo

Edward Lynch/Mary Gibson
Daniel Lynch

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 May 11 11:59 BST (UK) »
Some times you have to type the address your selve, do you know the name of the ship he came to Adelaide on, you could have a look at the census http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie
click on 1901, then cavan, you will see that there is a lot of places, you might see a name you have heard off or seen before, so his children birth certificates what does it say were his father was from.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 May 11 12:35 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ir/cav2/cavan.html
you might have to type this yourselve
on Daniel death certificate does it not mention a townland name?

The link still doesn't work- could you please find the correct link.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 May 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 September 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
You might want to try www.rootsreland.ie for the records. I looked in the database and couldn't find a Daniel born to Edward Lynch and Mary Gibson, only three daughters - Bridget (1837), Mary (1839) and Margaret (1841), who were all born in Cavan. Ae you sure he was born to Edward?

I am not sure if you have a townland associated with your Lynch family, but it is a huge help. Mine Lynches are from Edenburt, Virginia, Co. Cavan, thus it has helped me to narrow down my results (except with the name Patrick Lynch - there are too many out there in a small area).

However, I checked the DB and found only one Daniel Lynch in Cavan during your suggested time frame and his parents were Matthew Lynch and Mary Fitzsimons (relatives of mine), born 19 May 1839 in Kingscourt, Cavan and registered as Roman Catholic.
MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline damo74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 September 12 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your reply. I have also looked on www.rootsireland.ie and found the same three daughters. I found his parents name via Daniel's marriage certificate. Daniel's Death certificate stated he was born in Co. Cavan. I hired Trinity college to do a search and they found that his birth may not have been registered and that he also had a brother, Edward. They lived in a townland called Nolagh (close to Bailieborough). Edward (Daniel's brother) married a Catherine Farrelly and according to the 1901 Census lived in Taghart North, Crossnabradden. 

I was there earlier this year but being from a foreign country did not know where to start looking. I went to the Bailieborough Catholic Church to see if they could help.  The helpful Priest tried to give us directions to the disused Church, but we couldn't find it. Not sure if this church would have any records of Daniel or where the churches records are now located.

It is interesting that you are related to a Patrick Lynch. Trinity College found that the the Farm Edward and Mary may have had was taken over by a Patrick Lynch in ca 1936.  Is he any relation to yours?

Cheers
Damian
Edward Lynch/Mary Gibson
Daniel Lynch