Author Topic: Edward Lynch/Mary Gibson Co Cavan  (Read 9195 times)

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Lynch/Mary Gibson Co Cavan
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 September 12 06:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but glad you found hat you needed - sort of. As for my Patrick Lynch, I am not entirely sure where he hails from. However, I do know he lived in the Bailieborough area, but there are many other Patricks there too. I thought I had found the correct Patrick Lynch, but after extensive research, it turned out it wasn't.

My Lynch family lived in Corragloon, Mullagh, Cavan, and had married into the McMahon, Reilly/O'Reilly, Elwood and Mulvaney families.

According to family lore, the Lynch men were horse rustlers and Patrick Sr. (my gg grandfather) had to sneak into Cavan since there was a price on his head. Of course, I am unable to confirm those details, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were stealing from the English crown given my family history and their fight against the crown.

Anyway, the search continues for their origin.

PJ

MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.

Offline damo74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 September 12 06:59 BST (UK) »
Damn, thought I might have found a long lost relative.

I had a little chuckle over the Horse stealing, as it sounds like something  my Grandfathers brothers would do. They were definately "characters" in their local town.

Cheers
Damian
Edward Lynch/Mary Gibson
Daniel Lynch

Offline McMahon-Lynch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 September 12 16:37 BST (UK) »
We could be distantly related though. It is thought that many of the Lynches in the area are related to the same family. There is another Lynch Family in Bailieborough that I thought was mine, but their Patrick Lynch was married to Eliza Cole. Even the children's names from that union matched up, but it was another family.

When I looked in the archives, I was shocked to find that there were more than 150 Patrick Lynches born in a 5-year period, and that was only in Co. Cavan. Finding the right one can be tough if you don't know the townland they came from. Crazy!
MacMahon/McMahon, Lynch, Reilly, Carolan, and Dolan families of Carrigagh, Moynalty, Meath, Ireland; Lynch family of Corragloon, Mullagh/Virginia, Cavan; Mulvany, Fitzsimons and Lynch of Edenburt and Whitegate, Kells, Meath.