Author Topic: Parish/Church Records - Johnston  (Read 3986 times)

Offline HMGG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Cranage, Bowman, Green, Hogan, Murphy, Johnston
    • View Profile
Parish/Church Records - Johnston
« on: Friday 27 May 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Well, I didn't realise that it was possible to search Irish records, but, if so, would appreciate any information on the following:

John Johnston, born abt 1858 in Carrigallen, Leitrim, Ireland (according to his marriage certificate).

Parents (I believe but can't be sure):  Samuel Johnston and Ann(e) Pollock.

At some point, John Johnston emigrated to Australia and married Wilhelmina Lietzow, but I am searching for more on his origins.  So, an entry of birth for him, or marriage for his parents would be nice (and how I might go about getting a copy of the full record).   As I understand it records prior to 1840 in Ireland are rare so I am not that hopeful. 
Bowman (Cambs), Crannage (Staffs, Herts and Shropshire), Cranage (Staffs, Hereford & Shropshire), Duproy (AUS/Kent, England), Fletcher (Derbyshire, England), Green (Derbyshire & London, England/Dublin, Ireland), Hogan (AUS/Ireland), Johston (AUS/Ireland), Lietzow (Prussia/Pomerania), Mapstone (Somerset, England), Murphy (AUS/Ireland), Oxford (AUS), Pehlke, (Prussia/Pomerania/Poland), Pocock (Bucks & Berks, England), Robinson (Worcester), Shearman (Gloucester, England), Skinner (Kent, England)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records - Johnston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 May 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
Full Civil records started in 1864, so before that date you need to check for church records.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Bockety

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish/Church Records - Johnston
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 01:05 BST (UK) »

Offline HMGG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 02:02 BST (UK) »
Oh dear!   I imagine this is not going to be easy.  :-\

Thank you for checking for me Bockety.
Bowman (Cambs), Crannage (Staffs, Herts and Shropshire), Cranage (Staffs, Hereford & Shropshire), Duproy (AUS/Kent, England), Fletcher (Derbyshire, England), Green (Derbyshire & London, England/Dublin, Ireland), Hogan (AUS/Ireland), Johston (AUS/Ireland), Lietzow (Prussia/Pomerania), Mapstone (Somerset, England), Murphy (AUS/Ireland), Oxford (AUS), Pehlke, (Prussia/Pomerania/Poland), Pocock (Bucks & Berks, England), Robinson (Worcester), Shearman (Gloucester, England), Skinner (Kent, England)

Offline Bockety

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 08:35 BST (UK) »
Samuel was as common a name among CoI and Presbyterian families as Michael or John is among Catholic families until very recently, probably post WW2.

I did a wide range poke at FamiliySearch ( dates 1820-1880) and the results are. I would do a sweep for any Samuel who appears in BOTH first.

1. Samuel Johnston Leitrim 1820 - 1880 Birth or Death or Marriage

2. Samuel Johnston Cavan 1820 - 1880 Birth or Death or Marriage

Offline HMGG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 19:33 BST (UK) »
Wow.  Now that's an intriguing bit of information, Bokety, for which I am thankful. 

It's strange to consider this branch of the family as CoI or Presbyterian given how Catholic the later generations are but, as I understand it, both surnames - Johnston and Pollock - are (possibly) Scottish in origin, so perhaps this family was Presbyterian, or late converters?

Thanks again for your help, Bockety.

Offline Bockety

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
When a modern  Catholic church marriage takes place the Catholic church requires an undertaking of  the Catholic partner in a religiously mixed marriage that their children will be brought up as Catholics even if the non catholic partner does not convert, as they are not required to do.

This RULE did not apply until 1907 and I am unsure what the situation was before then. So the Catholicism sort of lags a generation if you see what I mean.

Relatively speaking there were quite a  few Methodists in Leitrim too I should add.

There are many Scottish names in the area North of Leitrim and they were in situ since the early 17th century. I would point out that the two main NI nationalist/catholic politicians of the past 30 years have Scottish surnames, Messrs Adams and Hume .

The Catholic Church does not co operate with Familysearch but other denominations generally take a sanguine view of Mormon retro baptism fixations and release their records on request. Northern Ireland has a rather good geneological service by the way even though Leitrim/Cavan is technically just out of their jurisdiction. Some NI CoI dioces have portions in the south meaning they may have a complete record.

Have a shufty here too.

http://www.nationalarchives.ie/genealogy/churchmap.html

Diocese of Kilmore as it was in 1906 looks good.

http://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/parregs.pdf

Methodism was largely a Low Church Anglican schism from the late 18th century

HTH

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 July 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
Samuel was as common a name among CoI and Presbyterian families as Michael or John is among Catholic families until very recently, probably post WW2.

I did a wide range poke at FamiliySearch ( dates 1820-1880) and the results are. I would do a sweep for any Samuel who appears in BOTH first.

1. Samuel Johnston Leitrim 1820 - 1880 Birth or Death or Marriage

2. Samuel Johnston Cavan 1820 - 1880 Birth or Death or Marriage

Be aware that not all church records survive and not all of those that do survive are online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!