Author Topic: 1901 census - Reformatory Philipstown - Tullamore?  (Read 8362 times)

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 census - Reformatory Philipstown - Tullamore?
« on: Saturday 28 May 11 08:02 BST (UK) »
In the 1901 census I have come across a Joseph Quirke, born Dublin City, who is a pupil in the catholic reformatory at Philipstown.

From a little reading, I think that this must be the later infamous Tullamore Reformatory in what is now Daingean in County Offaly.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to whether any records still exist to enable me to ascertain if this is the Joseph that I am looking for?

Are there papers still existing, for the school, that would include admittance information before 1901 or would I be needing to look for court documents for the case that caused him to be sent there?  And would those be still in existance?
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline btc

• I am sorry but I am having problems with my emails at the moment
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census - Reformatory Philipstown - Tullamore?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 12:14 BST (UK) »
I have never heard it referred to as 'Tullamore Reformatory' just 'Daingean Reformatory' but perhaps you are correct.  Locally the terms 'Daingean' as in "..... been sent to Daingean..." or  ".... the Reformatory...." were enough to identify the place. I dont know where info is available but am sure it still exists.  If I can find I will update you.
B

Offline SheenaPaden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 11 20:06 BST (UK) »
I was interested in the information you give on the 1901 census for Ireland.   I believe my grandfather was sent to a reformatory in Ireland (it may have been Gleencree).

Can you advise what information I need to input in their database to obtain records for pupils in reformatories or did you obtain the information you give from the National Archives in London?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
The 1901 and 1911 census is available online at : http://census.nationalarchives.ie/

Most people in reformatories are listed under just their initials.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Dan1878

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 12 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there everyone

Did you ever find out whether these records of inmates at reformatories actually exist or not? I would be interested in looking them up as well!

Thanks

Shane

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 September 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I was able to verify that it was the Joseph that I was looking for from the Court record of his being sent to Philipstown in 1897 which is among the Irish Criminal Records collection recently published on FindMyPast.ie and in the new Worldwide Collection version of FindMyPast.com.

The Court records contain various details, often including current address and place of birth, a description of the defendant and sometimes the name and address of next of kin, as well as the sentence or fine and a brief description of the offence.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)