Author Topic: Birth of Mary Dale?  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth of Mary Dale?
« on: Saturday 28 May 11 19:27 BST (UK) »
 Trying to find any record of Birth / or Baptism of Mary Dale. In the 1891 census she is found as Mary Mills (wife of George Mills) at Plaiston, West Ham. Her age at this time is given as 35 .. born Surrey, Kennington.
 I think her parents were a possible .... William Allen Dale & Harriet Burgess. But any record of her birth .. I can not find.
 I think I have her in the 1861 census .. at Kennington, Lambeth .. mother Harriet is a widow .. and Mary is 5 yrs old born again .. Kennington Surrey. But oh to find an actual record of birth!
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Mary Dale?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 May 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Can you clarify their marriage? The reason I ask is that there are several George Mills marriages  and the Mary Dale marriage  shows George as a George william in 1876.  Also the Harriet Dale on the 1891 is shown as sister to George Mills not to Mary? so are you sure that your George Mills married a Mary Dale? I was trying to see if the marriage entry had any spelling variations that might affect the birth being tricky to find.
North East of England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 May 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
I think Harriett Dale in1891 is sister to mary - I know relationships are to head of household -but sometimes the "in law" is omitted

Maybe there is not a birth reg for Mary -at the time she was born, although all should have been registered the law wasn't enforced -it was not until several years later that the penalty for non registration was enforced.

You may have to rely on baptism records.

It seems you have found a good match for Mary in 1861 (siblings Jane, Harry and Harriett.

Have you looked for baptisms/birth reg's for the other children??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 May 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
this may help

Marriage after banns
St John The Baptist Hampton Wick Richmond
4 Jun 1876
George William Mills 20 Bachelor Boatbuilder of hampton Wick father William Mills occ Blacksmith
Mary Dale 21 spinster of Hampton Wick father Henry Dale Occ Locksmith
Witnesses Alfred Priestley Clara Priestley

all signed

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

It looks like the older children's births were registered.

Births Dec 1844   
DALE  Ellen Burgess    Southampton  7 142
or   
Dale  Ellen Burgess     Southhampton  7 192

Births Mar 1846   
DALE  Emma     Salisbury  8 424

Births Mar 1848   
DALE  Jane     Salisbury  8 420
or   
Dale  Jane     Salisbury  8 421   

Births Mar 1851   
Dale  Harry     Salisbury  8 452

1851 census HO107 1847 folio 98
Castle Street Salisbury
William A Dale 44 Head Married Whitesmith (Journeyman) Guernsey
Harriet Dale 34 Wife Married Romsey Hampshire
Emma Dale 5 Daughter Salisbury Wiltshire
Jane Dale 3 Daughter Salisbury Wiltshire
Harry Dale 3 months Son Salisbury Wiltshire

There is also a possible birth registration for the last known child Harriet

Births Sep 1858   
Dale  Harriot     Lambeth  1d 821

It maybe that she wasn't actually born in Kennington but somewhere else just in front of the family arriving there but that's impossible to tell without a baptism. Two children were baptised in Salisbury (Emma and Ellen Burgess in 1847) but not Jane and Harry so its all a bit intermittant if done at all. The two baptisms were possibly triggered by an illness, possibly for both children.

Deaths Mar 1847   
Dale  Ellen    Salisbury  8 389

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
In the Plaistow West Ham 1891 census .. for George Mills .. Barge Builder .. the last entry for this house hold says Harriett Dale .. and if you go to the original old hand writing it states "Sister ... (and wrote under that in smaller writing ... 'in law'.."
 The second last entry in this 1891 household is son .. Harry .. so many weeks old ... I believe he is my relation (by marrage) who came to Ontario Canada in 1910 (the Canadian Census of 1911 .. gives me this info)
 A***ry has Ontario Canada marriages .. and you could look up his marriage on 15 Dec 1915 .. to Amanda Stephenson .. in Middlesex County Ont .. in the Village of Delaware .. Harry was listed as 26 the son of George Mills & Mary Dale .. and it says Harry was born London England.
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.