Author Topic: Help Please!! Cannot find marriage??  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
Help Please!! Cannot find marriage??
« on: Saturday 28 May 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've been having trouble now for a while on trying to find a marriage?

My Gt Grandfather Andrew Bolger, born 1885 Dublin
His marriage certificate says,  father; Thomas Bolger, Stone Mason

His mother remarried, presumably after Thomas's death, this marriage Certificate states:  Maria Bolger (nee KELLY) marries William Byrne, in Dublin.

But I cannot find a marriage for Thomas & Maria?

I'm presuming Andrew was the eldest child as on the 1901 census they can be found in London. Staying with an Aunt & Uncle. He has a Sister Mary(Molly) and another brother named Andrew? 

I can find no birth entries for Andrew or Mary with the rough year of birth stated on 1901 Census?   I have sent for numerous entries of births for both and none have the correct parents names?

My Gran, only knows a family story that Mary (Molly) married a Soldier, no one is sure whether he was Irish or English.  And that she had it very rough with with, and was suspected of being killed by him.  But they don't recall the name of the Soldier?  And I haven't come across anything that might give me a clue?

Any help or advise appreciated?

Cancan :)
The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please!! Cannot find marriage??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 11:19 BST (UK) »
I've found 2 possible birth registrations for your Andrew Bolger-
- Oct./Dec.1884 Dublin South registration district volume 2 page 687
- July/Sept.1885 Dublin South registration district volume 2 page 684 see below

Sister Mary's birth might also be there but you haven't given any indication of when she was born.
https://www.familysearch.org/

It's unlikely that Andrew Bolger had another brother named Andrew living in the same household in 1901- 'your' Andrew Bolger is listed as nephew to head of household- perhaps other Andrew Bolger is also a nephew to head of household but a cousin to your Andrew.

Andrew Christopher Bolger, son of Thomas Bolger & Maria Kelly of 4 Harmony Row, baptised 1884 at St. Andrew's R.C. Church, Dublin. Sponsors James Bolger and Ellen Kelly.
http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
I have looked at 1901 census and traced back that
Robert ALLEN married Anne BOLGER in Chelsea London in the first quarter of 1873
This marriage certificate could give more information to help

Describing the three Bolgers as niece and nephews may not necessarily make them siblings they could be cousins; children of Anne's brothers

I don't see immediate matches for them but this could be a different tack to take

shown above
Andrew Christopher Bolger, son of Thomas Bolger & Maria Kelly of 4 Harmony Row, baptised 1884 at St. Andrew's R.C. Church, Dublin. Sponsors James Bolger and Ellen Kelly.
http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/

The father shown is JAMES
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Andrew Bolger born 13 Dec 1884, 4 Harding Row, Dublin is the one that is mine.
Parents Thomas Bolger, Labourer. Mother :Maria (Nee Kelly) Bolger

His birth was registered on the 21st Dec 1884.
So the baptism you have provided for me, is definitely his.

Andrew's sister was said to be younger than him. So, this is why I thought the Mary on the 1901 census is his sister. Age given would make her birth around 1891 in Ireland.

I have ordered the marriage certificate of Ann & Robert, so fingers crossed it will give me more details.

I have found that they tended in the family to name the daughters Mary Margaret (Margaret), Mary Ann (Ann), Mary Rosaleen (Rosina), and sooner or later there was one that stuck with the Mary. ::)  Never gave it a thought about them being other nephews or nieces

"The father shown is JAMES"  is this the father of Thomas??

I have just spoke to my Gran, and she didn't know her father's middle name was 'Christopher' she has said again that she only knew of one sister he had 'Mary' (Molly)
the family are Roman Catholic.
My Gran is coming up to 89 in August, and I'm hoping to get as much found for her for a present.  I have looked into this family slightly before and her mothers side who are EBBS & SMITH.

Will update when certificate arrives!!

Thank you!!

Cancan :)

The Manchester General Cemetery Transcription Project, Bookmark our website to see updates and information also. http://mgctp.com

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 June 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It finally arrived!!!

Checking on FreeBMd, I decided to search for any other Bolger's Who got married in the 1870's with the name Bolger In Chelsea.  And there was another one, so took a chance and ordered the certificate. :-\

Robert Allen, full age married Anne Bolger, full age father Andrew Bolger  - Carpenter

Thomas A Lonsdale 29 married Ellen Bolger 24  father of Ellen is Andrew Bolger, Gardener (Deceased)

So, now it looks like Thomas (Andrew's father) had two sister's Ellen & Anne (Annie).  Checking the census both of the sisters were born in Dublin Ireland.

So, Thomas had a Son called Andrew and Andrew named his son Thomas. (so the naming is fairly consistent)
My Gran has now mentioned that her godfather was Andrew Bolger, so this would explain the other nephew?  (her memory isn't what it used to be :'()

Any ideas where to go next ???

Thanks Cancan

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 June 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
My Gt Grandfather Andrew Bolger, born 1885 Dublin
His marriage certificate says,  father; Thomas Bolger, Stone Mason

just wondering about the details here... when I looked at that baptism record mentioned earlier it has the father's name as James, not Thomas ?

see : Baptism of Andrew Bolger, 1884

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 June 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

It definitely says Thomas.  Have attached.

I wondered about the James, as James Bolger is a sponsor, maybe they entered the baptism into the book after the baptism and they confused the names.
Haven't been able to find an Anne or Ellen baptised with either Thomas or James as a father.  That could link all 3.

Cancan :-\

Offline Cancan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • mgctp.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 July 11 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just wanted to give an update.

Annie Bolger who married Robert Allen, was the person who registered the death of Thomas Bolger, who stated she was the sister of, she was also the the person who registered the death of her Mother, who's husband was Andrew Bolger. (which matched the fathers name on both Ellen and Annie marriage certs)

So, Thomas Bolger is definitely the father of Andrew and the husband of Maria Kelly.

I think a trip to Dublin to get a few Certs is best to try and find some more information. I've searched all online indexes etc., but nothing???

Thanks Cancan :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 July 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
The Index books in the GRO should contain the same details on the online index on familysearch - only more difficult to search.

You dont need to visit the research rooms to get certs, you can do this by post - see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

What cert(s) are you trying to find ? 

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests