Author Topic: STUART Andrew Thomas  (Read 5927 times)

Offline roseyposie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
STUART Andrew Thomas
« on: Sunday 29 May 11 05:25 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the arrival of Andrew Thomas STUART into Australia and where he lived up until
his/their arrival in Tasmania.
He comes from Lisdhu, Ireland and his parents are Andrew Godfrey and Sophia STUART (Castlestuart).
I have found that his first child was born in Williamstown, Victoria 23 Feb 1841.
And then have found his third child born in Buckland, Tas 1843.
Have not found his marriage to Mary GILMOUR, which is meant to have been around 1840, nor have I found the birth of his second child, George Joseph, in 1842.
An obituary for his youngest son states that his father, Andrew Thomas STUART, came to Australia
in 1837 and settled around Mt Macedon.
I have not been able to confirm this fact either.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Rose.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STUART Andrew Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 06:08 BST (UK) »

Your story seems to resemble the family of Andrew Thomas Stuart and Mary Gilmore
as detailed in the Tasmania Colonial Families database which has an assumed year of marriage, first child here b. Spring Bay and then others at Tasman.

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?detail=1&type=P&id=340259

The first and second children  could have been born in Victoria. Not sure about a child to be born at Buckland.

Can you please give details of these three children you have found.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 May 11 06:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rose,

Welcome to RChat

Re that 23 Feb 1841 birth,  as it occurred some ten years before the colony Victoria was separated from the colony of NSW, the baptism could be in the Early Church Records at NSW BDM. 

From that online index There's an Andrew G STUART's baptism with parents Andrew T and Mary with ref V18412336 25A/1841,  this would be line 2336 of volume 25A, from memory Vol 25A contains many "Vic" events.

Perhaps the baptism for George Joseph may also be indexed in the NSW records,

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 May 11 06:35 BST (UK) »
At the NSW State Records Office online website,
there's the index to the partial "remains" of the NSW 1841 Census

Andrew STEWART, at Merri Creek, County of Bourke, District of Port Phillip  ;)

and also
Andrew STEWART, Town Melbourne, County Bourke, District Port Phillip  ;)

There's land grants for Andrew Stewart also  http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 May 11 07:07 BST (UK) »
JM I don't this this is Andrew STUART as an 1847 directory shows an Andrew STEWART, agriculturist, Brunswick.   Merri Creek flows through what is today Brunswick East.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 11 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,

There could be that other Andrew STEWART entry from 1841 Town of Melbourne etc.  But I cannot find  Andrew STUART apart from the one NSW BDM entry.

Of course, it was not until 1851 that Victoria was separated from NSW, so I was looking in NSW State Records and NSW BDM online indexes.

Sorry Rose for any confusion, Cando is making very good sensible points, and I am very NSWcentric. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 11 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a snippet of interest.

Hobart Town Gazette Thursday 6th December 1870.
Assessment of water supplied.
Andrew Thomas Stewart, Sandy Bay-road.
Purpose for which water supplied: 1 horse & 3 cows.

Regards
Gerry

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 May 11 07:23 BST (UK) »
I think the two Andrew STEWART's are the one and same.  Living in 'township' of Melbourne [later CBD] and land grant in what was then rural Brunswick on the Merri Creek. Quite close to one another really.  I have seen quite a few 1841 census entries where there are two entries for one person, especially if the person is a landholder.  Perhaps the spouse preferred living in the town of Melbourne :).  Well that's my opinion for what it's worth ;D

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 May 11 07:26 BST (UK) »
I will try to find the head of household reports for those two 1841 census records,  I understand these may well be online via a commerical website ....  Fingers crossed

Edit to Add   Found this for Alexr Stewart
Apologies for poor transcript, very very difficult to read across a page that is tabloid size (akin to A3)
Patricks Plains Port Phillip, Alexr Stewart sighted, very hard to read .... 1 unfinished house, inhabited (but of course),  Males : 1 over 14 years, and under 21 years, 1 over 21 and under 45 years. Females 1 over 21 and under 45,  2 arrived free, could be Roman Catholics, so very hard to figure out though, 2 males, 1 female,

will try again for other Stewart ... but back in a while !

BACK, Edit 2
I am sure Cando is right, the two entries could well be
ONE for the page the head of the household summarised
ONE for the page the enumerator wrote up for all the heads of the household

A snip attached for possible deciphering.  I think it is Bush Hut, unfinished.  It is from the head of household sheet for Alexander Stewart at Merri Creek .

Cheers,  JM