Author Topic: Salford, OXON Parish lookup?  (Read 910 times)

Offline TylerJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Salford, OXON Parish lookup?
« on: Wednesday 27 April 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a marriage record of William Jacques b. 1809 (Little Compton) who married Elizabeth around 1836. They had at least 4 children all in Salford, OXON:
John Jacques b. 1837
Ann Jacques b. 1840
Thomas Jacques b. 1843
James Jacques b. 1846

I'm not sure if they were married in Salford or Little Compton.

Thomas (b. 1843) became parish clerk of St. Mary the Virgin in Salford, OXON in 1876. He was owner of Plough Inn, Salford in 1901.

Also looking for any record (death record) of William's parents John & Ann Jacques. The parish entry for William's baptism in 1809 in Little Compton has the spelling as Jaques but could be clerical error. They were Ag. Labourers so could have moved on for work but hoped they would have settled in the area with their children when they got older.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!!
Tyler J.

Offline paulalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Salford, OXON Parish lookup?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 August 05 00:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've searched the OMI (which goes up to 1837) for William and Elizabeth. I can't find any matches namewise (or approximate year) for either the surname Jacques or Jaques. Is it possible they married after 1837 and after the birth of their first child? Also, Little Compton is now in Warwickshire, although it was in Gloustershire (and right on the Oxfordshire border) in those days, is it possible they married at William's parish of birth?

Regards

Paula

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wolverhampton, Islington: Billingsley
Hammersmith, Manchester, Kent, Islington: Smith
Yorkshire: Hauxwell, Woodward, Butterfield
Darlington: Theakston
Essex: Harvey, Stock, Mead
Kent: Strong
Wokingham, Hammersmith: Thorpe
Oxfordshire: Rawlin(g)s, Johnson, Humphries, Curtis, Pope, Bossom, Simpson