Author Topic: Cecil Blake. Mill Hill, Sandon  (Read 6657 times)

Offline pb100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cecil Blake. Mill Hill, Sandon
« on: Sunday 29 May 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
My grandfather Cecil Arthur Maurice Blake lived at Mill Hill, Sandon from about 1919-1921.  He and his wife bred horses. He (apparently) took prizes for his hunters in the Tollenhunt D'Arcy in 1920.

He went to Ireland with his wife to take on the job of District Inspector in the Royal Irish Constabulary in Gort.  They left (according to a Galway newspaper article) a "Young Partner with half profits to carry on the farm".

Cecil, his wife and two other officers were killed by the IRA in an ambush at Ballyturin House in Gort on 15 May 1921, so he never returned.  There is an article about the murder in the Essex Weekly News on 20 May 1921.

We are trying to locate any information about his horse breeding (e.g. old event programmes etc.), the farm and who the part-owner was, what happened to the farm after the murders, and any details in general about Cecil or his wife (Eliza).

Any assistance would be appreciated.  A number of people are researching the murders and the lives of those who were killed, and I have a more personal interest in the life of my grandfather.  His wife at the time was his second (although we've not been able to find any details of their marriage).  I am the grandson from his first marriage.

Thanks

Paul Blake (Australia)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cecil Blake. Mill Hill, Sandon
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
http://www.cairogang.com/other-people/british/adric-killed/blake/blake.html

gives a lot of information - which may help save duplication of look ups

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pb100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz

Yes, this is where one of the people doing the research has been putting the information we've been compiling.  We are trying to add to it as there are a lot of unknowns about Cecil's whereabouts and activities between 1916 and 1921!!

Thanks very much for replying.

Paul

Offline horse54101

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't be too proud of him if he was my grandfather, he was responsible for much cruelty and wickedness to innocent bystanders, hence the lack of information about his time in Ireland!

Offline pb100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 October 11 03:56 BST (UK) »
It's always difficult viewing history from a modern perspective with our different beliefs, ethics and moral values.  I would certainly not say I was "proud" of what my grandfather did. I don't believe the British should have ever been in Ireland.

I can also understand how his attitudes and actions, in the struggle for self-determination, prompted others to take such drastic action as his murder. I think he was probably driven by a need to "prove himself" after being forced out of WW1 early due to injury and illness.  it's just highly regrettable that he chose this endeavour.

Are your comments based on any personal knowledge of the events or circumstances?

Paul

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
It's always difficult viewing history from a modern perspective with our different beliefs, ethics and moral values.  I would certainly not say I was "proud" of what my grandfather did. I don't believe the British should have ever been in Ireland.

I agree with Paul but at the same time I don't think we should lose sight of the IRA's behaviour, as the saying goes "violence begets violence".

Regards
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tom o flaherty

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 November 11 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I was reading up on my own family history when I came across your post regarding you looking for information re your grandfather. My grandfather was in charge of the IRA unit on that day in may 1921. He brought me to Ballyturin when I was 14 or 15, and showed me where the ambush happened and shared some details of what happened that day.

yours

Tom O Flaherty

Offline pb100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom

That's amazing. Thanks very much for your response.  I'd certainly be interested in any information you may have about your grandfather, the events of that day or any details relating to my grandfather or his wife.   I saw Ballyturin House when I was in Ireland in 2010.

From a book I purchased "Padraig O'Fathaigh's War of Independence" it would appear that there were quite a few reprisals subsequent to this event.  Your grandfather obviously survived those.  He would have been an interesting person to talk to.

Kind regards
Paul Blake

Offline mt40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 07:54 BST (UK) »
[/size]

Hi Paul,

I'm new to this forum stuff, so hope I will not make a mess of it!

We have been researching my husband's family history in Wales and came across the same story about your grandfather and Eliza Williams. We didn't know of her existence until then!

She was the half-sister of my husband's mother and they grew up together in the same home, having the same mother.

Unfortunately we are unable to tell you anything about her interest in horses, but we would be happy to communicate with you via this forum, unless you already have all the material you want.

We live in Australia too!