Author Topic: John McCurchie of Fearn  (Read 1951 times)

Offline azmara

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McCurchie of Fearn
« on: Monday 30 May 11 03:47 BST (UK) »
 :) i have a copy of the baptism register from Fearn 1793
Donald ROSS and spouse Jannet ROSS had a son David ROSS.
The witnesses were John McCURCHIE and Donald ROSS....
I was trying to find any trace of the McCURCHIE, wondering is by any chance he may have been Jannet's father but can't find ANY McCurchies anywhere. Does anyone know if this name is unusual or could have been changed to something else?
Hope this makes sense!

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John McCurchie of Fearn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Azmara

In George Black's "Surnames of Scotland", McCurchie is listed as being a variant of MacMurchie. McCurchie doesn't seem to have an entry of its own.

If the writing in the register is difficult to decipher, another possibility could be the surname MacCulloch which is quite common in the Fearn area - just a thought!

Hope this helps
Lynn

Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline azmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John McCurchie of Fearn
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 11 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking for me Lynn. The writing is fairly legible and definitely is McCurchie but I do know that lots of names had so many variations. !!  Interesting there were McCullochs there in Fearn as I have been struggling to find my gggrandmother on the other side of the family. She was Jannet McCulloch b 1786 in Rogart ( according to the only census I found her in..1841) That would be funny if they were all related anyhow!
Thank you again. I will try looking under MacMurchie...