Author Topic: Essex Chamberlains - need answers!  (Read 4875 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Essex Chamberlains - need answers!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
Mary Elizabeth CHAMBERLAIN was christened* on 10 October 1818 in Great Bentley, Essex to parents named: William & Mary CHAMBERLAIN. (Search Labs)

(as opposed to Mary Elizabeth CHAMBERLAIN who was born 14 May 1815,  Winchester, Frederick, Virginia, USA - ref: tree on A##try)

*There will be no Birth Certificate for her  -  civil birth registration did not begin until mid 1837 in England. There  could only possibly be a Parish Record for her - and luckily there does seem to be one (above is a Transcript of by Search Labs).  Not all Parish records survive, or were fully kept.  Christenings did not always occur near time of birth - sometimes years elapsed before Christenings. But in Mary Elizabeth's case, her age on Census do suggest she was born around  the 1818 mark.

The Parish record of her Christening may not give you any more info than the transcript - but you never know: an address, or witness' (godparents) might be recorded and be useful if so..

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline catmaygilmore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Ambly, for all of this great information. We are familiar with Percy's immigration to the US and some of the details surrounding it. Apparently his wife Ellen had tuberculosis and died not long after arriving. Even sadder still, the infant Robert died his first night in Salt Lake City. As his descendants many of us are still in Salt Lake City.

Most notably to clear up the Mary Elizabeth Chamberlain marriage situation and find the source of all of our "Edward Austins" (A name our family still uses today!) Must've been a good guy. And to finally put Thirza in the right family (your hunch was right - she had been wrongly indentified as a daughter of William and Mary).

How would one go about obtaining/purchasing copies of birth certificates for Percy Edward Austin Chamberlain and related marriage certificates. I would love to see his as well as Mary Elizabeth's.

On our next visit to England I would love to take a pilgrimage to Essex. I wonder, how would we go about finding any surviving Chamberlains? We'd probably have to go back to William and Mary Chamberlain's line to find any.

Thanks again!

Offline catmaygilmore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 June 11 08:02 BST (UK) »
I looks to me as if, George CHAMBERLAIN, Percy's father was born abt 1827/28 to William CHAMBERLAIN and Mary nee CONNEL/COWEL, later Mrs Peter HART) and had:
   1) A sister Mary Elizabeth who married 1) Austin, 2) Nassau
   2) A brother named Charles who married 1) Ann Maria

AMBLY: I have a question about Charles and Anna Maria Chamberlain. I have Anna Maria CHAMBERLAIN nee HART her father as Peter Hart (the same Peter HART that her mother married after her father's death. So Charles's mother remarried to his spouse's father?
I can't seem to find Peter's first marriage, the one that produced Anna Maria. I have her birth date as 1831 and death date as 14 July 1860 in Brightlingsea Essex. I also believe Peter had a brother James Hart b. 1803.