Author Topic: Benjamin Lamoon  (Read 27856 times)

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Lamoon
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 17:00 BST (UK) »
Tara,

Whenever I try to use the LDS site to search Lamoon it says no  records found. What am Idoing wrong?

Offline Avance0306

• RootsChat Extra
  • History Teaches About Our Past, Present, & Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 29 May 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

It would appear that Joseph Lamoon Sr b 1797 ish was born in York and was the father of Emma, Henry & Joseph Jr all born in Ireland.

Until 'avance' comes back we will have to double check her information. I am hoping that she has actual documentation to say that Martin was the son of Benjamin and this was not just a presumption based on heresay.

rootsireland has the record of a Martin Lamoon born to Benjamin and Bridget but this does not guarantee that the Martin that ended up in England is in fact the same one.

There could have been a Martin born to Joseph but maybe no record of it survives.

I did note on the census that Martin's second son was called Joseph and I think his first daughter was called Mary (which could lead us to believe that he was in fact the son of Joseph Sr - but this could be just a total coincidence.

I think 'avance's Irish reference is to Benjamin Lamoon who does appear to have been born in Ireland abt 1797.

If 'avance' has documentation saying that Martin was the son of Benjamin - then it's possible that somewhere along the way that people researching this name have presumed that they were all related - which is understandable due to the rarity of the surname - but then again could be totally coincidental.

I hope that makes sense LOL but as you say we will wait 'til 'avance' is back online !

Tara

Hi -
I am still trying to piece all the information together in regard to Lamoon and how my family ties in.
It's been an adventure. Like I've said, still trying to find the ties that bind.

A distant relative was researching Lamoon but I've not been able to contact her in regard to any of her findings.
A lot of what I have come up with is supposition and trying to get timelines to work, etc. Nothing is set in stone as of yet.
I just got my membership at rootsireland and as soon as I have the funding, I will be pulling records. I've also updated my FindmyPast membership.
I am not a big fan of just willynilly putting information out there, however, answers won't get answered if you don't ask questions and in those cases, I defer to the experts.. as I am very novice at this stuff.

I've found that the LaMoon name has various spellings - Lamon, Lamont, Lemoon, Lemon - I wish there was a way to figure for definite what the surname was..

Thank you, Tara, for helping with some information - I am currently trying to get caught up with my research after being down for a few days.

My thinking -
George is the father to Joseph and Benjamin; George was in Ireland and England via the military.
I've also found a Mary Ann born in Ireland around the same time as Martin and his brothers...
I am still trying to piece it all together and it is a work in progress.

All help, input, and advise is appreciated.

sara
Feder, Avance, Cantle, Wilson, Whitehead, Morton, Lamoon, Allen - American, English, Scottish, Irish and German.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

Have you guys not gotten marriage certs ?

This is the one for Martin Lamoon

Martin Lamoon
Registration Jul-Aug-Sep 1874
District Dover
County Kent
Volume 2a
Page 1286 

This one is for Joseph

Joseph Lamoon
Registration Oct-Nov-Dec 1871
District Dover
County: Kent
Volume 2a
Page 1625

I think you defo need to have these certs to say without a shadow of a doubt who these men's father's were.

Only then is it safe for you to go back another generation.

Sara, I fully appreciate that funds are tight (we're all in the same boat) but without the marriage cert for Martin Lamoon you could be doing a lot of incorrect research, which will work out being more expensive and timeconsuming in the long run.

I presume that you are refering to 'Pam' that I have seen posting details re Lamoon on different sites. As you have not been able to contact her for her to verify her finds I think you need to do your own 'fact finding'.

Once you get the certs, I'm sure things will start to fall into place.

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 10:09 BST (UK) »

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Tara.
It works and Terry is my name.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 21:05 BST (UK) »
No Probs Terry

Good Luck !

Tara

Offline peej2006

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 17 June 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, Let me introduce myself to you. I am Pam from London and have been looking into LaMoon family history for quite a while on and off. Benjamin LaMoon is my 2x great grandfather. Martin LaMoon, his son, is my Great grandfather. Martins daughter, Mary Ethel LaMoon is my grandmother.
I am not currently doing any research and have put away all paperwork etc so will have to work from memory if you have any questions. I have not really researched the Irish connections as I have no time to go to Ireland but have looked into online resources which I found really helpful.

Pam
LaMoon Cantle Richardson Bradshaw Allen Cooper Taylor Admans Gooch Hanrahan

Offline TerryW6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 18 June 12 10:19 BST (UK) »
Pam,

At long last you have turned up again. I was trying to contact you a few years ago. I figured that you had got stuck and given up as your posts on various parts of the net were quite a while before I started researching. I also gave up for a while but a renewed search a few weeks ago came up with avance 0306 who has lots of information. She has been trying to contact you as well. I even resorted to writing to various people with the same surname as yourself.
(Nothing to do with the fact it is also the name of a brewery family!!)

I suggest that you pm avance0306 and ask her to allow access to her family tree. For me personally I found the Lamoon history amazing.

Offline smol2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 01 July 12 15:01 BST (UK) »
I am also a grandson of William (Married Ada Godden) but I have his birth date as 1874. We could well be cousins. I have only just found this chat room but I have been trying to find where Lamoon comes from for quite some time - Have got back to the Irish ancestors but I can't really make positive connections.

It would be good to hear from you.

Regards,

Simon.