Author Topic: Private Thomas Smith 30th Somerset Light Infantry  (Read 1365 times)

Offline aliceaevdb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Private Thomas Smith 30th Somerset Light Infantry
« on: Monday 30 May 11 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for information on my G.G. Uncle, Thomas Smith. He served in the 30th Somerset Light Infantry between 1st February 1941 and the 13th December 1945. He was demobbed in Aldershot. Originally from Battersea, we have little information on him or his family. I have his Army Number, although we are unsure if we are his 'closest' next of kin/relatives and so have not applied yet for his records.

Any memories or information would be appreciated!
Dickeson, Bradley, Smith, Duffield, Banks: Wandsworth/Battersea/Lambeth/Clapham/St Andrews London.
Bottomley: Chelsea/Middlesex
Sharman: Suffolk, Norfolk
Wisker: Hampshire, London

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Private Thomas Smith 30th Somerset Light Infantry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 11 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

With a name like Thomas Smith you will need to provide a lot more information please

Firstly - if there is any possibility that he or members of his family are still living - their names and any personal details cannot be published here - please see

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

When was he born

You have only told us that he was "from Battersea" - was he actually born there or did he just live there?

Where and when did he marry?   www.freebmd.org.uk

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline aliceaevdb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 11 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

All we know is:

He was born on 17th January 1907, although we are struggling to find a record of his birth as he may not have been registered under Smith. We are waiting for a birth certificate to confirm his, and his sisters, mother.

In 1911 he was living at 16 Little Europa Place, Battersea, with his father Thomas William Smith, sister Ellen Violet (listed as Duffield), (step?) mother Eunice Martha Duffield and (step? half?) sister Eunice Elizabeth Duffield (her father, Eunice seniors husband, died when she was two. We are waiting for birth certificates to confirm whether Eunice Martha was also Ellen Violet and Thomas' mother). 

I think I have found his father in 1891 and 1901, also in Little Europa Place, suggesting he was born in Battersea.

Eunice Martha Duffield and Thomas Smith senior married in 1912.

In 1926 he was living with his family at 55 Bridge Road West, Battersea - the family owned a building supplies/reclamation yard shop, T. Smith/T.Smith and Son. We have the business listed in the Kelly's Directory.

He married in 1950 in Cambridgeshire, where he had moved to in the mid 1940's as he had family and business connections here. They did not have any children, and he passed away in 1984. 

We know that the 30th Somerset Light Infantry went to Tripoli, and he brought his nieces lockets back from Rome. It would be fantastic to know more about his time in the army!

Dickeson, Bradley, Smith, Duffield, Banks: Wandsworth/Battersea/Lambeth/Clapham/St Andrews London.
Bottomley: Chelsea/Middlesex
Sharman: Suffolk, Norfolk
Wisker: Hampshire, London

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

If he had no childen - you may be able to obtain his service records on production of a copy of his death cert
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)