Author Topic: Roman Catholic Chappel  (Read 3037 times)

Offline johnd2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roman Catholic Chappel
« on: Monday 30 May 11 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
A couple of questions that someone may be able to help.
Does anyone know the name of the Roman Catholic chappel in the townland of Ballagh which is in the Civil Parish of Kilgefin my greatgrand parents were married in this chappel?
Also my greatgrand father at the time of his marriage in 1868 his place of residence given from his marriage cert was Fairymount  i presume this is the same  Fairymount townland also in the civil parish of Kilgefin but also in the Catholic parish of Ballagh. What is confusing is that on OSI historical maps there is a map showing a catholic parish with the name of Fairymount(Historical name Tibohine) this parish is shown some distance from the Civil parish of Kilgefin and the catholic parish of Ballagh would i be correct in that i have got the correct Fairymount given in Kilgefin.
Hope someone can help.
Many thanks
John Duffy

Offline ronnieh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic Chappel
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 08:58 BST (UK) »
hi
It seems like the Fairymount you are looking for is Fairymount /Kilrooskey as the Ballagh you speak about is often mentioned as Ballagh/Kilrooskey  and these places are near Kilgefin.  I think the priest in Ballyleague Co Roscommon would be looking after the Church in Ballagh.  If you look up Elphin Diocese on line you might find out more about Priests etc.  I'm not from around this area but thought the little info I have may help
Good Luck
Ronnie