Author Topic: Parlett crests?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Debpaull

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parlett crests?
« on: Monday 30 May 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Would it be possible for you to let me know if there is a crest for the family name of Parlett?  I believe that my ancestors 'worked' along side King James.
Thank you

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parlett crests?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

Do you mean a coat of arms - the shield etc?  The crest is placed on top of the shield and forms part of the achievement.

Although not the most reliable reference book, the General Armory by Burke does not have the name Parlett in it as bearing arms.

Do you have any particular evidence to suggest that anyone in the family was granted arms?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Parlett crests?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 11 22:43 BST (UK) »
Fairbairn's Crests which is a fairly good definitive work on the crests as described by Nell also shows no evidence of any individual named Parlett having a crest. English Coats of Arms in general belonged to individuals not families and passed down the eldest male line.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk