Author Topic: A Douglas of Inverness?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Douglas of Inverness?
« on: Monday 30 May 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
 My rellie was a James Douglas .. who died in Ontario Canada in 1928. His death report in the local Ontario newspaper stated he was born in 1838 Inverness, Sutherlandshire Scotland .. plus the one Canadian census, gave his birth in Scotland as 15 April 1838 .. plus his tombstone states died 1838. Here is my problem ..... I don't think the Inverness, Sutherlandshire can be geographically correct.
 Can anybody find a baptism record for him .. his parents were a William Douglas & Helen Patterson.. they had married at Tongue in Sutherland.
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: A Douglas of Inverness?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 May 11 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken

As you say, likely something may have been lost in the translation regarding James' birth place you would think.

From IGI, although James' entry doesn't show, some siblings do:

1. Jane DOUGLAS Chr. 26 JUN 1826 Tongue, Sutherland
2. Anthony DOUGLASS b. 25 APR 1829 Farr, Sutherland
3. Jane DOUGLASS b. 13 APR 1831 Farr, Sutherland
4. Oliver DOUGLASS Chr. 18 FEB 1836 Farr, Sutherland

Can't easily see the family in 1841. Had they already left for Canada?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
Ken, sorry, see I gave some of this info earlier  :P www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,479691.0.html

Not sure, unfortunately, that there is more to be found than we had on the previous post... Without an entry in the Old Parish Registers for James' birth or christening, hard to be certain as to where James was born isn't  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ken S

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 13:41 BST (UK) »
 Yes I was already looking at this same subject before. The family seems to have come to Canada about 1840. They eventualy settled in Lambton County Ontario. A history book that was done on the Ont County in 1906 .. said for the Douglas's ... "after a long stormy voyage of thirteen weeks they landed in Quebec" Sooooo James may have been born just before the family left for the new-side of the world.
William Stephenson - born 1814 at Doncaster West Yorkshire - married Mary Scott at Cottingham East Yorkshire (Hull) in 1838. Williams parents I believe were another Wm Stephenson and an Alice Carter - married Cantley Parish W Yorks (Doncaster) in 1811..... Other east riding names are Nicholls (Bridlington, Yorks and Wigan Lancs.) and the surname Withernwick.