Author Topic: How do I fill in the gaps?  (Read 4396 times)

Offline lynzg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I fill in the gaps?
« on: Tuesday 31 May 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
I have found most of the basic information but would like to find out more about my ancestors, obviously in England this is easily found through the census. Is there any way to find out more information easily, as unfortunately I dont live in Ireland.  :-\

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: How do I fill in the gaps?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 13:40 BST (UK) »
Depends on the dates involved ... but usually you would start with the two census returns (1901,1911), then work back through civil records, and finally check for parish records

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
   My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lynzg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
I have the basic records through this route but just wanted to find out a bit more such as jobs and things like that, is that something feasible?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 13:54 BST (UK) »
not exactly sure what kind of details you are looking for ... BMD certs give occupations, and so do the census returns. Other than these, many ordinary people didnt generate much in the way of records... it's usually gentry, professions classes and people in legal trouble that create the paperwork and appear in these types of records and newspaper articles.

More general information on occupations could probably be located with google searches, or maybe a few library books

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests