Author Topic: Belfast Barracks 1860-1870  (Read 4824 times)

Offline foggyhero

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belfast Barracks 1860-1870
« on: Tuesday 31 May 11 20:00 BST (UK) »
Info wanted on what regiments were stationed in Belfast from 1860-1870
Jarrett

Offline hoobaloo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Barracks 1860-1870
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
I don't know if it is of any assistance but my Grand father was stationed in Belfast at "Victoria Barracks" and his regiment was, on his marriage cert dated 1896, given as RIR.  I understand this means Royal Irish Rifles, also, I'm afraid this is the sum total of my knowledge on the subject but I do hope it helps, Regards, John.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 11 08:22 BST (UK) »
The infantry did not have permanent depots until c1873. Before then they would move around the UK every few years.

I have found that in 1861 the 3rd Light Dragoons/Hussars were in Belfast; plus the Depots for the 26th, 49th, 62nd, 63rd and 76th Regiments of Foot.

In 1871, there was one troop of the 6th Dragoon Guards; the 80th Foot and the Depot of the 37th Foot. The 1st Battalion 16th Foot and the Depot for the 55th Foot were elsewhere in the general area.

In addition there would have been elements of all the ‘corps’ – RA, RE,  Commissariat, medical, etc.

Ken

Offline foggyhero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 June 11 05:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks John and ken. I have a sergeant James Jarrett married in 1861 St Annes shankhill belfast and he`s having children every few years in Ireland, would he be sent back so often to belfast if they moved about alot? Or was there a body of men the was there all the time say training troops?
Jarrett

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 11 09:22 BST (UK) »
They did not have training units then. Each regiment was responsible for its own training.

It may be that he was in the Militia rather than a Regular. These came under the Lord Lt of the county, so stayed in the same place. Or he may have been in a more static unit such as the Royal Artillery.

Civil registration started in Ireland in 1864. You should look for the birth certificates of his children until you find one with his regiment. You can also look for regimental BMDs (including his marriage) as these started before civil registration. They are not complete, but they do include some 'home' events.

How many of the children were born in 'Ireland' and how many in Belfast?

Ken

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 July 11 23:05 BST (UK) »
I am looking for military records for Patrick Byrne from Antrim, died 1909 aged 71

Could anyone tell me which Regiment  Staff Sergeant Edward Hayes  & Recruiting Sergeant Andrew Mallon who lived in Gt Patrick Street, Belfast 1880 would have been attached to?

I know that Edward Hayes was a witness to Patrick Byrne marriage in 1874 at St. Patricks.  Edward married the other witness Mary Bulman 6 months later.  Andrew Mallon was a witness for Edwards 3rd born in 1880.

I believe that all three men were part of the same Regiment, but despite searching all their marriage & children's birth records I cannot find a single reference to their Regiment which I believe was based at the barracks next to Artillery Street.

It would appear that Patrick was still in the army in Jan 1878 but had left sometime before Dec the same year.

I would really appreciate any help in finding their Regiment which  will hopefully lead me to their military records.

many thanks
VB 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 July 11 00:11 BST (UK) »
New thread started on Antrim board for information on Patrick Byrne-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546747.new#new
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 July 11 01:05 BST (UK) »
thanks aghadowey for yor help, posted on both as I know enthusiast read different threads & really need help on this one   :'(

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 July 11 08:02 BST (UK) »
Have you looked for their records on Findmypast? The two senior men would almost certainly have received pensions. So, unless they died while serving, their records should be on FindMyPast.

Have you also bought all the certificates you can find for these men? As these may give a regiment. You can also check the pre-WW1 medal rolls on Ancestry.

Another possibility is that they were members of the 4th Battalion (Royal Antrim Militia). FindMyPast have recently put their enlistment forms online. But for the RIRif they only have from 1874 (and even this needs checking) and to get promotion to senior sergeants they probably enlisted before then.

Ken