Author Topic: Bo'ness & Carriden Roll of honour  (Read 13663 times)

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
Re: Bo'ness & Carriden Roll of honour
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 November 19 17:01 GMT (UK) »
No bother Alan.

I don't know if you are aware that I'm the co-author of the book "Without Fear - WW1 Stories of the Men on the Bo'ness War Memorial"?

Likely we are are going to move onto the WW2 names at some point in the future, and perhaps include other interesting stories and photos. Do you have any photos of Dick or his uncle Richmond Picken you could send us? Or any other info that we may include?

All the best,

Alan
Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline meggy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 17 November 19 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry I haven’t replied sooner. Unfortunately I can’t get the Roll of Honour book just at the moment, so thanks Alan for supplying the information.
Alan I wonder if you could tell me where I can get hold of a copy of Without Fear? I live in Yorkshire and have tried Waterstones but they couldn’t help. I have Stanners relatives on the memorial.
Many Thanks
Meggy
Stanners, Bell, Ramsay, Kerr, Scougall, Gibb, Archibald, Todd, Laird Johnston, Cosgrove, Robertson.

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 17 November 19 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meggy - we can send you a copy. If you PM me I will let you know how we can go about that.

G67
Gow Burt Rooney McMeeking Stanners Burness Anderson Crookston West Rankine Dickson Bernard

Offline kelly pike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 10 May 22 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Kelly Picken, my father was Richmond Picken born 1924 in Bo’ness and his Uncle Richmond Picken died in WW2.  I’m wondering if these are the One’s you are referring to.  There is a monument in Bo’ness with my Uncles name on it.  I have pictures of my Dad sitting on a Sunderland.  He was a mechanic.
Kelly

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Kelly,

Your Dad's Uncle Richmond Picken is indeed on the Bo'ness War Memorial WW2 Merchant Navy Plaque.Do you have any photos of him you could share?

I'd also love to see that photo of your Dad sitting on the Sunderland.His name appears n the Bo'ness & Carriden Parishes Roll of Honour as follows:

PICKEN, RICHMOND, 6 Newtown Cottages. R.A.F. No. 1573692. Joined, October 1942.

There is an entry also for:

PICKEN, MARY K. -same address-. WAAF No. 489283. Joined, September 1943.

Do you know who she was in relation to you?

All the best,

G67

Offline kelly pike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 21:52 BST (UK) »
Dad’s sister, we called her Aunt May.  I will have to ask my Mom if there any pictures of Uncle Dick.  If I’m correct he would have been the one that lived close to my Grandparents but my Dad didn’t really know him. I can also ask a cousin who lives in Scotland.  I am at Mom’s tomorrow night.  Will ask to see old photos, take pics and upload by Friday.  She might have one of Aunt May in uniform as well.

Offline Gow67

• RootsChat Member
  • GGF Jock Gow
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 11 May 22 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Kelly - I will send you a PM.