Author Topic: James Seery  (Read 13348 times)

Offline LauraBermingham

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Seery
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 March 16 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to this rootschat and could be totally wrong. But my great grandmother was Kathleen Seery, 10 Beresford place, later 2 Beresford place. I am just doing some family tree reaearch as the 1916 commorations were this weekend. I think James was Kathleens brother, I must ask my grandmother ( Kathleens daughter)she has loads of information on this. As far as i know he was in hiding for a few days after the rising. There is a book called "our rising" which has Kathleens accounts of the lead up to 1916

Offline OceanOne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hello and thanks for your post - sorry for the delay, I have been attending the 1916 Commemorations and haven't had a chance to reply until today.

James Seery did have a younger sister called Kathleen. Her father was called John and her mother Catherine - both are buried at Glasnevin Cemetery, and it is possible to obtain the records should you wish. You might also be interested in the 1911 Census which lists the family at that point as John (Head of Family), Catherine (Wife), Mary Josephine (Daughter), James Patrick (Son), Teresa (Daughter), Kathleen (Daughter) & Patrick (Son).

Thanks for the information about the book "Our Rising" and Kathleen's contribution - I will certainly be purchasing a copy.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 13 November 20 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone connected to this post is connected to Daniel SEERY 1903-1982?

The latest military archive records included a relative Kathleen KEARNEY nee BOURKE and Daniel Seery gave her a reference.
It is not dated (presume c 1938-1941 based on other letters) but the address given is 31-60 38th St Astoria, New York

I found that Daniel Seery of this address naturalised in the USA on Nov 14 1940
He was born to Daniel SEERY & Mary Ann BRADY on Jan 17 1903 at 32 Montgomery Street

I would be interested to know if her name rang any bells
Also curious on the Patrick Pearse connection

Thank you
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 14 November 20 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there My Luck
The Daniel Seery you asked about was my Uncle ( my mother's brother) and Mary Anne Seery was my grandmother. Dan and his brother Walter lived at 12 Corporation Street in Dublin's north inner city. Dan trained as an upholsterer and Walter trained as a farrier (blacksmith). Initially, they emigrated to Canada and about the time of the great depression they split up with Dan moving to the States and Walter stayed in Canada, living most of his life in Montreal.  Dan married an English lady called Agnes O Rourke and Walter married a French Canadian woman called Corrine? They both had children some of whom still live in America and Canada.

Shiraz

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 14 November 20 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Shiraz

Daniel wrote a reference for Kathleen but like many women she wasn't awarded a pension. She also wrote a reference for him in his application for a pension; she also met and helped him when he returned to Ireland from Manchester.

The records are very interesting to go through if you haven't through them.  :)

I was also trying to make a link between Padraig PEARSE and Daniel SEERY but to no avail
I had presumed it would be in the BRADY side
Padraig's mother was Margaret BRADY d/o Patrick BRADY & Brigid CARAGAN? other records show SAVAGE
LINK to Civil Record
LINK to church record which is difficult to read

Daniel's mother was Mary Ann BRADY d/o Walter BRADY & Kate BYRNE
LINK to Civil Record
LINK to Church record with parents' names
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 15 November 20 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi there My Luck
As mentioned, my grandmother Mary Anne Seery (nee Brady) was daughter of Walter Brady who in turn was related to Patrick Brady, who was Margaret's father...I haven't been able to discover if they were brothers or cousins.  I do know that the family were originally from Nobber and were native speakers in past times.

So many pieces of the jigsaw always seem to be missing.

Shiraz

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 15 November 20 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Shiraz
I agree it is so difficult to piece some things together
I know from my own family that the word "cousin" was very loosely used!

I will look again at what I found and let you know if I find anything!  :)
Further generations:

Offline Shiraz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 November 20 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks My Luck for you offer.

I'd be grateful for any light you can throw on the subject. I recall that Nobber is in County Meath and maybe some information could be gleaned from local records in that area.
Shiraz

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 16 November 20 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Shiraz

From what I can see at present from trees, articles and records

Walter BRADY & Margaret O'CONNOR were the parents of at least eight children born in Co. Meath
There are baptism records for four of them between 1822 and 1833 in Curraha, Co. Meath
They were Catherine, Philip, Anne, Patrick, Laurence, Christopher, John and Margaret

I believe that Patrick was the husband of Brigid SAVAGE and therefore the grandfather of Padraig PEARSE

I believe that Philip was the husband of Eliza ?? (Possibly Nulty) and therefore the grandfather of Mary Anne SEERY nee BRADY

This would make Daniel and his siblings 2nd cousins once removed to Padraig PEARSE.
Further generations: