Author Topic: Adoption pre-1927- any way of finding out?  (Read 11971 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption pre-1927- any way of finding out?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 June 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Margp

The Gillespie/Bradbury couple married in 1940 and had 6 children registered in Warrington 1941-1958.

Rachellaura did mention that the name was his adopted name not his birth name.

Late registrations usually have a slightly different reference number ie 2271/s and make a reference to the quarter and year the birth should have been made in. ie D/25

Trying to find an original birth certificate amongst family and personal papers is a good suggestion, although it may not have survived the passage of time.

Is there a chance he was formally and legally adopted after 1927 when the law changed?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 June 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn

It was a long shot, I know they have those ref for adoption now but I was not sure when they came into force, but he must have had some sort documentation on his birth through his life time ie starting school, marriage,military,passport ect and he may well have been formerly adopted after 1927 to get a birth record, it might be an idea if Rachel  contacted The National Archive's to see if there are any records of this.

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline rachellaura84

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 June 11 18:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Margp. Some great ideas. My mum has phoned my Gran today and she is looking through all the papers she has. I'm hoping she has something, as, like you say, they must have registered the marriage using some form of ID. My Grandad only found out he was adopted when he was getting married, so I'm thinking his parents had to tell him when they handed him his birth certificate I guess. He was disabled, so did not fight in the war, but again a good suggestion.

Dawnsh, thanks too! I don't think he was adopted after 1927. As far as I know there was no further contact with the birth mother at all. My Gran religiously stores everything in little plastic wallets, so hopefully something will turn up in her search!

Rachel x

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 June 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Rachel

It may not be of any help, but just in case you don't already know this:

James Gillespie & Maud A Kirk were married in 1910 in Rochdale.
In 1911 they were living in Rochdale. There were no children born to them that I can find, although there are other Gillespies in the area, so your grandad might have been born to one of them and didn't have to change his surname.  ::)

There is no birth record for Roy Gillespie's change of name in 1920 or thereabouts which makes me think this was all done privately and quite possibly in Rochdale.

Mike
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rachellaura84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 June 11 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Rachel

It may not be of any help, but just in case you don't already know this:

James Gillespie & Maud A Kirk were married in 1910 in Rochdale.
In 1911 they were living in Rochdale.  There were no children born to them that I can find, although there are other Gillespies in the area, so your grandad might have been born to one of them and didn't have to change his surname.  ::)

There is no birth record for Roy Gillespie's change of name in 1920 or thereabouts which makes me think this was all done privately and quite possibly in Rochdale.

Mike

Hi, Thanks for the info Mike. I had found most of it and have all their birth and marriage certs etc. I know that he was not born as a Gillespie, so I dont think he would have been born to a family member. Maud and James were unable to have children and were in their 40's when they adopted. I have a lot of info about my adopted family, but it would be great to find just a little about my bloodline too!

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 June 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Margp. Some great ideas. My mum has phoned my Gran today and she is looking through all the papers she has. I'm hoping she has something, as, like you say, they must have registered the marriage using some form of ID. My Grandad only found out he was adopted when he was getting married, so I'm thinking his parents had to tell him when they handed him his birth certificate I guess. He was disabled, so did not fight in the war, but again a good suggestion.

Dawnsh, thanks too! I don't think he was adopted after 1927. As far as I know there was no further contact with the birth mother at all. My Gran religiously stores everything in little plastic wallets, so hopefully something will turn up in her search!

Rachel x
Hi Rachel do you have Roy's marriage certificate are there any clue's on there Marg

Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline SteveJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 June 11 20:55 BST (UK) »
I don't know what the regulations / rules are on marriage

My mother was given away, shortly after birth (1919) she was named on her birth certificate as Boyes, when she married in the 40s she used the name she was known as Etherton, this was in a church and I do have the original of the marriage certificate, her fathers name is given as Etherton

Before she died she told me that the Ethertons never adopted her
Walford  Staffordshire,Yorkshire
Boyes     Beverley, Hull
Allison     Beverley, Hull
Bowser   East Yorkshire
Etherton Sussex

Offline rachellaura84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption pre-1927- any way of finding out? (NEW INFO ADDED!)
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 June 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
OK, so having spoken to my Grandmother I have some new information.

My Grandad was baptised (as Roy Gillespie, his adopted name) on the 30th June 1920 at a baptist church in Winsford, Cheshire. His baptism certificate confirms his birth date (7th Feb 1920) and names James and Maud Gillespie as his parents. My gran thinks that this is where his birth mother is from.

My grandmother also found an Adopted person's register certificate. It have no information on his birth family on it, but it says that it is being stored at Somerset House. It was registered on 29th september 1936 (some 16 years after his birth!)- Is there any way of accessing this???

Please tell me I have a breakthrough!

Rachel

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 June 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

Here is a link where I think that you may be able to order a Adoption certificate

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Birthandadoptionrecords/Adoptionrecords/DG_175554

I am so excited for you Marg xx
Coley Dudley.
Parker Stafford.
Duckworth Cheshire.
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich